2014 elections preview: Indiana to hold congressional primaries
By Ballotpedia's Congressional team
The primary elections of the 2014 election season will continue in Indiana on May 6, 2014. Indiana is one of 21 states with a mixed primary system. Voters are not required to register with a party, but the ballot they get depends on which party they have voted for most often in the past. To vote in the primary, voters had to register by April 7, 2014. For the general election, the voter registration deadline was October 6, 2014.
Indiana is split between Eastern and Central time zones.
|Members of the U.S. House from Indiana -- Partisan Breakdown|
|Party||As of November 2014||After the 2014 Election|
Incumbent Peter Visclosky will run unopposed in the Democratic primary. Mark Leyva will run unopposed in the Republican primary. James L. Johnson, Jr. is also running as a write-in candidate in the general election.
Incumbent Jackie Walorski, elected in 2012, will run unopposed in the Republican primary. Notre Dame administrator Joe Bock, Dan Morrison, Douglas Carpenter, and Bob Kern are running for the nomination in the Democratic primary.
Incumbent Marlin Stutzman will take on two challengers--James Mahoney III and Mark William Baringer-- in the Republican primary. Justin Kuhnle Jim Redmond and Tommy Schrader are running in the Democratic primary.
Incumbent Todd Rokita will face a primary challenge from Kevin Grant in the Republican primary. On the Democratic ticket, five candidates are running for the nomination: John Dale Roger Day, John Futrell, Howard Joseph Pollchik and Jeffrey Blaydes.
Incumbent Susan Brooks will face David Stockdale and David Campbell for the Republican nomination. Candidates Allen Davidson, David Ford, and Shawn Denney will face off for the Democratic nomination.
Incumbent Andre Carson will face three primary challengers: Curtis Godfrey, Mmoja Ajabu and Pierre Quincy Pullins. On the Republican ticket, Wayne Harmon, J.D. Miniear, Erin Magee, Catherine Ping and Gordon Smith are all running for the nomination.
Incumbent Larry Bucshon faces a primary challenge from Andrew McNeil in the Republican primary. Democratic candidate Tom Spangler will run unopposed. Libertarian Party candidate Andy Horning is running in the general election.
Two candidates--Mark Jones and Kathy Lowe Heil-- are challenging incumbent Todd Young in the Republican primary. Four candidates are running in the Democratic primary for the nomination: Former mayor of Seymour Bill Bailey, James McClure Jr., J.S. Miller and William Joseph Thomas.
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- United States Congress elections, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections in Indiana, 2014
- U.S. House battleground districts, 2014
- Indiana elections, 2014
- List of U.S. Congress incumbents not running for re-election in 2014
- State Poll Opening and Closing Times (2014)
- United States congressional delegations from Indiana
- 2014 Indiana elections
- 2014 Primary Election Candidates
- 2014 General Election Candidates
- 2014 Candidate Guide
- Indiana Code, "Section 3-10-1-6," accessed January 3, 2014
- Indiana Election Division, "Voter Registration," accessed January 3, 2014
- Indiana Secretary of State, "2014 Elections Calendar," accessed January 3, 2014
- Indiana Elections Division, "2014 Primary Candidate List," accessed May 5, 2014
- Indiana Elections Division, "General Election Candidates," accessed May 5, 2014