A. Benton Chafin
|A. Benton Chafin|
|Virginia State Senate, District 38|
|September 2014 - Present|
|January 13, 2016|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||August 19, 2014|
|First elected||November 5, 2013|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
|Virginia House of Delegates|
|January 2014-September 2014|
|Profession||Attorney and Farmer|
Chafin is a beef cattle farmer and an attorney with a local practice. He served as general counsel for the Russell County Industrial Development Authority for 18 years.
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, Chafin served on the following committees:
|Virginia Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• Agriculture, Conservation and Natural Resources|
|• Commerce and Labor|
|• Courts of Justice|
|• Rehabilitation and Social Services|
2014 legislative session
In the 2014 legislative session, Chafin served on the following committees:
|Virginia Committee Assignments, 2014|
|• Courts of Justice|
|• Science and Technology|
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2015
Elections for the office of Virginia State Senate will take place in 2015. A primary election will be held on June 9, 2015, and the general election November 3, 2015. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 9, 2015.
A special election for the position of Virginia State Senate District 38 was called for August 19, 2014. The filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 20. Candidates were chosen by the parties rather than through a primary.
|Virginia State Senate, District 38, Special Election, 2014|
|Republican||A. Benton Chafin||59.6%||17,496|
|Independent||Rick A. Mullins||8.6%||2,517|
Chafin won the 2013 election for Virginia House of Delegates District 4. Chafin ran unopposed in the June 11 Republican primary. He was unopposed in the general election, which took place on November 5, 2013.
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- Virginia Chamber of Commerce: 2014 Legislative Report Card
- Legislators are scored based on their support of pro-business issues during the 2014 legislative session.
- Virginia League of Conservation Voters: 2014 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes on environmental and conservation issues.
- Northern Virginia Chamber Partners: 2014 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes on business and quality of life issues.
- Virginia Manufactures Association: 2014 Legislative Wrap Up
- Legislators are scored on their votes on bills that VMA introduced or was part of an coalition that introduced it.
- Virginia Tea Party Patriots Federation: 2014 Legislative Scorecard
Chafin and his wife, Lora, have three children, Sophia Vance, Audra Chafin and Augustus Chafin III.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Benton + Chafin + Virginia + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Virginia State Legislature
- Virginia State Senate
- Virginia Senate Committees
- Virginia state legislative districts
- Profile from the Virginia State Senate
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Profile from Vote VA
- TriCities.com, "Russell Co. attorney to run for 4th District Va. House seat," March 18, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "2015 November Election Calendar," accessed January 2, 2015
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "Official candidate list," accessed July 11, 2014
- Virginia Department of Elections, "Official special election results," accessed September 30, 2014
- WJLA, "Phil Puckett, Virginia senator, announces his resignation," June 9, 2014
- The Roanoke Times, "4 now seeking party nod for state Senate seat with NRV corner," June 17, 2014
- Washington Post, "Republicans select Del. Ben Chafin to run for Phillip Puckett’s Virginia Senate seat," June 20, 2014
- Virginia Board of Elections, “Official Results - 2013 General Election," accessed December 2, 2013
Phillip Puckett (D)
|Virginia Senate District 38
| Succeeded by|
Joe Johnson (D)
|Virginia House of Delegates District 4
January 2014-September 2014
| Succeeded by|
Todd E. Pillion (R)