Academy School District 20 elections (2013)
|General Election date:|
Method of election
What was at stake?
Academy School District 20
El Paso County, Colorado ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Colorado
Three seats on the school board for Academy School District 20 were up for general election on November 5, 2013. Incumbents Linda Van Matre and Catherine Bullock and newcomer Larry Norman Borland defeated Andrea Van Nort and Shannon Mendes to win the three at-large seats.
About the district
- See also: Academy School District 20, Colorado
El Paso County underperformed the rest of Colorado in terms of median income based on the 2010 U.S. Census. The median household income in El Paso County was $57,079 compared to $57,685 for the state of Colorado. The poverty rate in El Paso County was 11.7% compared to 12.5% for the entire state. The U.S. Census also found that 35.1% of El Paso County residents aged 25 years and older attained a bachelor's degree compared to 36.3% in Colorado as a whole.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100.0%. Each column will add up to 100.0% after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
Method of board member selection
The Academy School District 20 School Board consists of five members, all of whom are elected at-large by the district as a whole to four-year terms. There was no primary election, and the general election was held on November 5, 2013. Three seats were on the ballot in 2013.
Individuals interested in running for the board began circulating nominating petitions on August 7, 2013. The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the 2013 general election was August 30, and the filing deadline to serve as a write-in candidate was September 3.
|Academy School District 20, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Catherine Bullock Incumbent||24%||12,019|
|Nonpartisan||Linda Van Matre Incumbent||23.2%||11,642|
|Nonpartisan||Larry Norman Borland||23.1%||11,576|
|Nonpartisan||Andrea Van Nort||18.6%||9,305|
|Source: El Paso County, Colorado, "2013 Coordinated Election," November 14, 2013|
Linda Van Matre received endorsements from former board member Elizabeth Anderson, the Housing & Building Association and the Pikes Peak Association of Realtors. Catherine Bullock received endorsements from state Board of Education Chairman Paul Lundeen, United States Representative Doug Lamborn, Colorado State Representative Amy Stephens, El Paso County Commissioners Darryl Glenn and Peggy Littleton, the Pikes Peak Association of Realtors and the Home Builders Association. Van Matre, Bullock and Larry Norman Borland all received endorsements from the Colorado Springs Independent.
|Candidate||Contributions||Expenditures||Cash on hand|
|Larry Norman Borland||$0.00||$1,063.50||-$1,063.50|
|Linda Van Matre||$2,445.00||$1,401.89||$1,043.11|
|Andrea Van Nort||$0.00||$2,800.85||-$2,800.85|
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
What was at stake?
Three seats, including those of the board president, vice president and treasurer were at stake. Doug Lundberg, who served as the vice president of the board, was ineligible to run for another term because of Amendment 17 to the Colorado Constitution, which states that no "elected official of any...school district....shall serve more than two consecutive terms in office." Incumbents Linda Van Matre and Catherine Bullock ran for re-election against challengers Shannon Mendes, Larry Norman Borland and Andrea Van Nort.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Academy School District 20 election in 2013:
|August 7, 2013||Last day for nominating petitions to be made available to candidates|
|August 30, 2013||Last day to file nominating petitions|
|September 3, 2013||Last day to file as a write-in candidate|
|October 15, 2013||Candidates must file first Fair Campaign Practices Act report detailing their contributions and expenditures|
|November 1, 2013||Candidates must file second Fair Campaign Practices Act report detailing their contributions and expenditures|
|November 5, 2013||General election|
|December 5, 2013||Candidates must file third Fair Campaign Practices Act report detailing their contributions and expenditures|
Additional elections on the ballot
This election shared the ballot with two statewide measures. Voters decided on a ballot measure dealing with excise taxes and sales taxes on marijuana sales in Colorado, which passed. They also voted to reject Amendment 66, which was an initiated constitutional amendment to raise the state's income tax in order to increase state funding for public school districts.
- Colorado school board elections focus on Amendment 66, school reform
- School board elections review: Voters opt for experience over new blood in nation's largest school districts
- School board election wrap-up: Incumbents re-elected overwhelmingly in November 5 elections
- Academy School District 20, Colorado
- List of school board elections in 2013
- El Paso County, Colorado ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Colorado
- United States Census Bureau, "El Paso County, Colorado," accessed August 7, 2013
- Colorado Secretary of State, "Total Registered Voters By Party Affiliation and Status," accessed October 2, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Academy School District 20, "Board of Education," accessed October 2, 2013
- Colorado Secretary of State, "2013 Election Calendar," accessed October 2, 2013
- Vote for Linda Van Matre Academy School District 20 Board of Education, "Endorsements," accessed November 4, 2013
- Catherine Bullock for Academy District 20 School Board, "Endorsements," accessed November 4, 2013
- Colorado Springs Independent, "Help for education, taxes for RMJ sales," October 23, 2013
- Colorado TRACER, "Candidate and Candidate Committee Detail," accessed December 19, 2013
- El Paso County, Colorado, "Official Sample Ballot for 2013 Coordinated Election," accessed October 2, 2013