|State Executive Offices|
| Governor • Lt. Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Schools • Insurance Commissioner • Controller • Agriculture Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Services Commissioner|
|Elections by Year|
|2015 • 2014 • 2013 • 2012 • 2011 • 2010|
The Agriculture Commissioner is a state level position in all 50 states. The duties of the position vary from state to state, but the general role is to oversee regulation of various facets of the agriculture industry as well as the promotion of state agribusiness.
List of Current Agriculture Commissioners
Elected vs. appointed
As it currently stands, there are only two ways in which an individual is able to be selected to assume the role of state agriculture commissioner - by either being publicly elected by the people of the state through the primary/general election processes, or by being appointed by the governor.
While the vast majority of the states that do have the statewide governmental position authorize the governor to appoint an individual to the office, there are at least 12 others who have opted to have public voters select the office holders. These states are Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, Texas and West Virginia.
The current party breakdown of State Agriculture Commissioners based on whether they are elected by the general public or appointed by the governor of an individual state shows that:
- The 11 states in which Republicans have been elected to the statewide position include Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina and Texas.
- West Virginia is the only state in which a Democrat has been selected by the people as office holder.
- Governors in the other 38 states are authorized to appoint individuals as agriculture commissioners. Those state positions are nonpartisan.
|Quick facts about Agriculture Commissioners|
- See also: State executive official elections, 2015
- Main article: State executive official elections, 2014
Seven states held regularly scheduled agriculture commissioner elections in the 2014 electoral cycle:
- Main article: State executive official elections, 2012
No party changes resulted from either election. Incumbent Steve Troxler (R) won re-election in North Carolina and Walt Helmick (D) won election in West Virginia replacing former officeholder Gus Douglass (D).
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Agriculture + Commissioner + State
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- State executive offices
- State executive official elections, 2012
- State executive official elections, 2014
- State executive official elections, 2015