Akron Public Schools elections (2013)
Method of election
What was at stake?
Akron Public Schools
Four seats were up for election on the Akron Board of Education on November 5, 2013. Incumbents Bruce D. Alexander, Lisa Mansfield, Veronica Sims and challenger Dave Lombardi defeated Janice O. Davis, Debbie Maire Walsh and Scott Stetson to win the four at-large seats.
An ongoing issue for the Akron Board of Education was poor academic performance according to the Ohio Achievement Assessments.
About the district
- See also: Akron Public Schools, Ohio
Akron lags behind the rest of Ohio in terms of higher education achievement, median income and poverty rate. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 20% of Akron residents over 25 years old held undergraduate degrees compared to a 24.5% rate for the state of Ohio. Akron had a median income of $34,190 in 2010 compared to $48,071 for Ohio. The poverty rate for Akron was 25.8% in 2010 compared to an 14.8% rate for the rest of the state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
Method of board member selection
The Akron Board of Education consists of seven members who are elected at-large to four-year terms. There was no primary election on September 10, 2013 and the general election was held on November 5, 2013. Four seats on the board were up for election in 2013 and three seats will be on the ballot on November 3, 2015.
Candidates for the Akron Board of Education must be 18 years old, a resident of the district and not hold city office concurrent to board service. The Summit County Board of Elections required a $30 filing fee as well as at least 25 signatures by the filing deadline on August 7, 2013.
- Bruce D. Alexander
- Graduate, Youngstown State University
- Superintendent, Summit County Juvenile Court
- Janice O. Davis
- Graduate, Malone College and Baldwin College
- Dave Lombardi
- Graduate, Miami University and University of Akron
- Lisa Mansfield
- Graduate, University of Akron
- Patron Services Manager, Weathervane Playhouse
- Veronica Sims
- Graduate, University of Akron
- Administrator, Akron Summit Community Action
- Scott Stetson
- Graduate, Youngstown State University and University of Akron
- Principal, Lobbyist Compliance Services, Inc.
- Debbie Maire Walsh
- Executive Director, Summit County Republican Party
|Akron Public Schools, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Lisa Mansfield Incumbent||20.9%||11,621|
|Nonpartisan||Bruce D. Alexander Incumbent||18.6%||10,344|
|Nonpartisan||Veronica Sims Incumbent||15.8%||8,816|
|Nonpartisan||Janice O. Davis||12.2%||6,814|
|Nonpartisan||Debbie Maire Walsh||9.8%||5,466|
|Source: Summit County Board of Elections, "Election Summary Report for General Election in Summit County, Ohio," accessed December 13, 2013|
Candidates received a total of $4,559.35 in contributions for this campaign, according to the Ohio Secretary of State. Veronica Sims and Lisa Mansfield were the only candidates to file reports, receiving $3,703.35 and $856, respectively.
|Akron Board of Education, At-large, November 8, 2011|
|Nonpartisan||Curtis T. Walker Incumbent||46.8%||22,538|
|Source: Summit County Board of Elections|
Note: Patrick Bravo won as a write-in candidate, earning 2,226 votes to defeat four other candidates.
What was at stake?
Incumbents Bruce D. Alexander, Lisa Mansfield and Veronica Sims sought re-election to the board on November 5, 2013. The race also featured challengers Janice O. Davis, Dave Lombardi, Scott Stetson and Debbie Maire Walsh. Current member and board president Jason Haas did not file for re-election.
Board members in Akron will contend with academic performance issues stemming from recent assessments by the Ohio Department of Education. The district only achieved proficiency in five performance indicators out of 24 according to the 2012-2013 District Report Card. This evaluation also found that proficiency levels were at least 10% behind state averages in reading and mathematics from grades 3 through 8.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Akron Board of Education elections in 2013:
|August 7, 2013||Last day to file nominating petitions for local nonpartisan races|
|October 24, 2013||Filing deadline for pre-election expense reports|
|November 5, 2013||Election day|
|November 26, 2013||Certification of election results by county officials|
|December 13, 2013||Filing deadline for post-election expense reports|
Additional elections on the ballot
The Akron Board of Education elections shared the ballot with other local and county elections on November 5, 2013. Voters in Akron selected three members of the City Council and two members of the Akron Municipal Court. The ballot also featured an election for three seats on the Summit County Educational Services Center board. Voters also decided on six local measures dealing with alcohol sales at specific businesses in Akron as well as three county measures related to tax levies to support parks, mental health services and the Akron Zoo.
- Akron Public Schools, Ohio
- Summit County, Ohio ballot measures
- List of school board elections in 2013
- Financial policies, education standards at stake in November school board elections
- School board election wrap-up: Incumbents re-elected overwhelmingly in November 5 elections
- School board elections review: Voters opt for experience over new blood in nation's largest school districts
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Akron," accessed September 9, 2013
- Smart Voter, "Summit County, Ohio," accessed September 9, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Summit County Board of Elections, "2013 Election Calendar," accessed September 10, 2013
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Elections & Voting: Campaign Finance," accessed December 26, 2013
- Akron Beacon Journal, "For the Akron school board," October 11, 2013
- Ohio.com, "Patrick Bravo wins write-in race for Akron School Board," November 9, 2011
- Ohio Department of Education, "2012-2013 Report Card for Akron Public Schools," accessed September 10, 2013
- Summit County Board of Elections, "Issue Synopsis," August 7, 2013