Alabama's 1st Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
June 3, 2014
|Candidate Filing Deadline||Primary Election||General Election|
Voter registration: Voters must register to vote in the primary by May 24, 2014. For the general election, the voter registration deadline is October 25, 2014 (10 days prior to the general election).
- See also: Alabama elections, 2014
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.
- Bradley Byrne - Incumbent
|Candidate Ballot Access|
|Find detailed information on ballot access requirements in all 50 states and Washington D.C.|
The 1st Congressional District of Alabama held a special election for the U.S. House in 2013. The primary was held on September 24, 2013, followed by a runoff primary election on November 5, 2013. Bradley Byrne defeated Dean Young in the Republican runoff primary. Bradley Byrne then defeated Burton LeFlore (D) in the general election. The general election took place on December 17, 2013.
The special election was held to fill the vacancy left by the resignation of Rep. Jo Bonner (R) on August 15, 2013. Bonner resigned to take a job as vice chancellor of government and economic development at the University of Alabama.
|U.S. House, Alabama District 1 General Special Election, 2013|
|Source: Results via Associated Press|
|U.S. House, Alabama District 1 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Jo Bonner Incumbent||97.9%||196,374|
|Source: Alabama Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House, Alabama District 1 General Election, 2010|
|Republican||Jo Bonner incumbent||83%||129,063|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Alabama, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Alabama's 1st Congressional District special election, 2013
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013 through January 3, 2014 researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- Alabama Secretary of State Website, "Voter Registration," accessed January 3, 2014
- Alabama Redistricting "Map" accessed July 7, 2012
- Governor of Alabama: "Governor Bentley Announces Court-Approved Timeline for Special Election in 1st Congressional District," accessed July 30, 2013
- The Gadsden Times, "Turnout light in Ala.'s 1st Congressional District," September 24, 2013
- blog.al.com, "BREAKING: Rep. Jo Bonner resigning from Congress," May 23, 2013
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"