Alabama House of Representatives District 45
|Alabama House of Representatives District 45|
|Current incumbent||Dickie Drake|
|Race||58.7% White, 0.3% American Indian or Alaska Native, 1.5% Two or More Races, 0.8% Asian, 3.1% Other, 35.6% Black, 0% Pacific Islander|
|Voting age||76.2% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 42,890 civilians reside within Alabama's forty-fifth house of representatives district. Alabama state representatives represent an average of 45,521 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 42,353 residents.
About the office
Elected officials are not subjected to term limits and Alabama House members are one of only five lower house officials in the United States that are elected every four years. Alabama's state representatives assume office on midnight of the day that they are elected.
Members of the House must be 21 at the time of their election, must be citizens and residents of the State of Alabama for at least 3 years and residents of their district at least one year prior to election.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Alabama legislature are paid $10/day plus $4,308/month plus $50/day for three days during each week that the legislature actually meets during any session.
If there is a vacancy in the house, a special election must be conducted in order to fill the vacant seat. The Governor must call for a special election if the vacancy happened before next scheduled general election and the House is in session. The Governor has all discretion in setting the date of the election along with nominating deadlines.
Drake defeated Paige Parnell (D) in the November 29 special election. He also defeated Michael Sumners and Tommy Joe Alexander in the Republican primary and Republican primary runoff, respectively.
Since 2002, candidates for Alabama State House District 45 have raised a total of $737,252. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $73,725 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Alabama State House District 45|
- Center for Business and Economic Research, The University of Alabama, “Population by Race for State Legislative Districts in Alabama, 2010,” October 10, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Population in 2010 of the American states," November 21, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Population in 2000 of the American states," November 21, 2013
- Alabama State Legislature, "The Alabama House of Representatives," accessed December 12, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Alabama State Legislature "Code of Alabama Section 17-15-1", accessed December 12, 2013
- Alabama State Legislature "Code of Alabama Section 17-15-3", accessed December 12, 2013
- al.com, "Gov. Robert Bentley calls special election to fill two legislative seats," July 11, 2011
- Al.com, "Drake defeats Alexander in Alabama House District 45 runoff," October 11, 2011
- Al.com, "Unofficial results show Drake as winner in Alabama House District 45," November 29, 2011
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|