Alabama state government salary
Alabama state government salaries and other state spending figures are available on the Open Alabama website, a project sponsored by Governor Robert Bentley and originally implemented under former Governor Bob Riley. Personnel pay is also searchable on the Alabama State Personnel Department website.
A 2012 report by the state Personnel Department shows Alabama's state employees rank third in the South in average salary at $42,966.
According to 2008 U.S. Census data, the state of Alabama and local governments in the state employed a total of 324,365 people. Of those employees, 266,786 were full-time employees receiving net wages of $908,100,454 per month and 57,579 were part-time employees paid $56,199,051 per month. More than 52% of those employees, or 169,824 employees, were in education or higher education. Due to budget cuts and loss of federal funding, Alabama agencies laid off 1,100 employees in 2011.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2012, Alabama state legislators received a base salary of $10 per day and a session per diem of $4,308 per month, plus $50 per day for three days during each week that the legislature actually meets during any session.
State executive salaries
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
|Lieutenant Governor||2011||$70,556||Kay Ivey|
|Secretary of State||2010||$79,580||Beth Chapman|
|Attorney General||2010||$168,003||Luther Strange|
As of 2008, the salary of Alabama's governor ranked 32nd among U.S. governors' salaries. The average salary earned by U.S. governors was $128,735. The median salary earned by U.S. governors was $129,962.
|Position||'09 Salary||Current Justice|
|Chief Justice||$181,127||Roy Moore|
|Associate Justice||$180,005||Tommy Bryan|
|Associate Justice||$180,005||Lyn Stuart|
|Associate Justice||$180,005||Michael Bolin|
|Associate Justice||$180,005||Tom Parker|
|Associate Justice||$180,005||Glenn Murdock|
|Associate Justice||$180,005||Greg Shaw|
|Associate Justice||$180,005||Kelli Wise|
|Associate Justice||$180,005||James Allen Main|
As of 2010, the salary of Alabama's chief justice ranked 8th among U.S. chief justices' salaries. The average salary earned by U.S. chief justices was $155,230. The median salary earned by U.S. chief justices was $151,284.
As of 2010, the salary of Alabama's associate justices ranked 9th among U.S. associate justices' salaries. The average salary earned by U.S. associate justices was $151,142. The median salary earned by U.S. associate justices was $145,984.
Salary information on Open Alabama
Starting October 2009, Alabama began to post state employee salary information onto its government transparency website, Open Alabama.
The posted information, however, is greatly limited. The site contains no salary information for months and years prior to October 2009. Moreover, the salary information that is available from October 2009 and onwards is presented in the form of bi-weekly payments. If a user wants to find an employee's annual salary for the current fiscal year, he or she must add up each of the bi-weekly payments within that year.
In addition, it is difficult to navigate through Open Alabama's state employee checkbook. To find a state employee's salary, the user must search for the employee by agency or name.
The Alabama State Board of Education apportions money to each school district. Each school district determines the salaries for its own teachers based upon the teacher's education and experience.
Alabama teacher salary schedules can be found here.
|Beginning teacher salary||Average salary|
Full-time teachers receive benefits on top of their salaries, including health care and a retirement plan through the Teachers Retirement System.
- See also: Public employee benefits
All full-time employees of the state receive benefits on top of their salaries, including health care and life insurance.
State employees have the following paid holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr.'s /Robert E. Lee's Birthday
- George Washington's/Thomas Jefferson's Birthday
- Mardi Gras Day
- Confederate Memorial Day
- National Memorial Day
- Jefferson Davis's Birthday
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Columbus Day/Fraternal Day/American Indian Heritage Day
- Veteran's Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
|Category||State's share||Employee's share||Total|
|Single, 1/2 time||$403||$417||$820|
|Single, full-time||$805||$ 15||$820|
|Family, 1/2 time||$403||$607||$1,010|
|Legislator family coverage||$0||$650||$650|
Employees have the ability to enroll in a Flexible Benefit Spending Plan to set aside pre-tax money via payroll deductions to pay for health care and dependent care expenses not covered by their benefit plans.
The State Employee Injury Compensation Trust Fund provides indemnity and medical benefits for injuries incurred on the job. Indemnity benefits consist of lost wages caused by job injury, payment for permanent partial and permanent total disability and payments to dependents and for burial expenses in the event of fatal injury.
The General Liability Trust Fund was established to provide liability protection for state employees acting in line and scope of their job requirements.
The State Employee Assistance Program is a short-term counseling and referral service, intended to cover problems including but not limited to emotional/mental conditions, financial management and drug/alcohol abuse.
- Alabama Department of Finance - Open Alabama
- Alabama State Personnel Department Online Employment System
- University of Alabama expenses
- "North Alabama senator's bill would eliminate state workers' travel reimbursement, longevity pay," al.com, March 27, 2011
- Alabama state government employment opportunities
- Alabama's Department of Industrial Relations
- Alabama state employees directory
- Salary information on Alabama's Directors and Heads of Departments
- directory on Alabama's state employees
- ↑ Alabama Department of Finance - Open Alabama
- ↑ State workers' pay rates now online, WAFF TV, October 5, 2009
- ↑ Alabama State Personnel Department Online Employment System
- ↑ "Alabama's state employees rank No. 3 in South in average salary," April 28, 2012
- ↑ 2008 Alabama Public Employment U.S. Census Data
- ↑ Business Week, Alabama agencies cutting 1,100 employees, Aug. 24, 2011
- ↑ NCSL, 2012 Compensation Data, Accessed June 12, 2012
- ↑ The Council of States Governments The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11
- ↑ AL.com, Governor compliments Legislature and Redstone Arsenal, takes swipe at local senator, May 14, 2012
- ↑ AL.com, WHAT ALABAMIANS EARN, March 13, 2011
- ↑ ‘‘The Council of State Governments,’’ “The Book of the States: 2008”
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 The National Center for State Courts, "Judicial Salary Resource Center" as of Jan. 1, 2010
- ↑ [2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00Z%20TO%202012-01-01T00%3A00%3A00Z
- ↑ Alabama State Holidays
- ↑ State Employees' Health Insurance Plan Benefits
- ↑ State Employees' Health Insurance Plan Rates 2010
- ↑ Alabama State Employees Insurance Board Flex Plan
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 18.2 Alabama State Personnel Department