Alaska House of Representatives District 35
|Alaska House of Representatives District 35|
|Current incumbent||Alan Austerman|
|Ethnicity||1.2% Black, 2% Hispanic|
|Voting age||78.5% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 17,419 civilians reside within Alaska's thirty-fifth house of representatives district. Alaska state representatives represent an average of 17,756 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 15,563 residents.
About the office
Article II, Section 2 of the Alaska Constitution states: A member of the legislature shall be a qualified voter who has been a resident of Alaska for at least three years and of the district from which elected for at least one year, immediately preceding his filing for office. A representative shall be at least twenty-one years of age.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Alaska House of Representatives are paid $50,400 per year as a base salary rate. They are also paid a per diem of either $238 or $253/day, tied to the federal rate. This per diem varies depending on the time of the year. Legislators who live in the Juneau area receive 75% of federal rate.
If there is a vacancy in the house, the Governor of Alaska is responsible for selecting a replacement. The Governor must select the replacement within 30 days after the vacancy happened. The Governor cannot appoint a replacement if the vacancy happens before a new legislative session is scheduled to convene.
Elections for the office of Alaska House of Representatives consisted of a primary election on August 28, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 1, 2012. Incumbent Alan Austerman ran unopposed in the August 28 Republican primary before defeating a write-in candidate in the general election.
|Alaska House of Representatives, District 35, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Alan Austerman Incumbent||96.8%||5,226|
Since 2000, candidates for Alaska State House District 35 have raised a total of $351,733. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $21,983 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Alaska State House District 35|
- Alaska State Legislature
- Alaska State Senate
- Alaska House of Representatives
- Alaska state legislative districts
- Public Mapping Project, “Alaska 2010 Census Statistics,” October 17, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Population in 2010 of the American states," November 22, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Population in 2000 of the American states," November 27, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Alaska Legal Resource Center "Alaska Election Law," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute 15.40.320)
- Alaska Division of Elections, "August 28, 2012 Primary Candidate List," November 29, 2013
- Alaska Division of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results," November 29, 2013
- Alaska Election Division, "Election Results 2012," November 16, 2012