Alaska House of Representatives District 6
|Alaska House of Representatives District 6|
|Current incumbent||Eric A. Feige|
|Ethnicity||0.6% Black, 1.7% Hispanic|
|Voting age||72% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 14,235 civilians reside within Alaska's sixth house of representatives district. Alaska state representatives represent an average of 17,756 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 15,563 residents.
About the office
Article II, Section 2 of the Alaska Constitution states: A member of the legislature shall be a qualified voter who has been a resident of Alaska for at least three years and of the district from which elected for at least one year, immediately preceding his filing for office. A representative shall be at least twenty-one years of age.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Alaska House of Representatives are paid $50,400 per year as a base salary rate. They are also paid a per diem of either $238 or $253/day, tied to the federal rate. This per diem varies depending on the time of the year. Legislators who live in the Juneau area receive 75% of federal rate.
If there is a vacancy in the house, the Governor of Alaska is responsible for selecting a replacement. The Governor must select the replacement within 30 days after the vacancy happened. The Governor cannot appoint a replacement if the vacancy happens before a new legislative session is scheduled to convene.
Elections for the office of Alaska House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place August 19, 2014. The general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 2, 2014. Wilson Justin was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while David M. "Dave" Talerico defeated Thomas A. "Tad" Dunning in the Republican primary. Justin will face Talerico in the general election.
Elections for the office of Alaska House of Representatives consisted of a primary election on August 28, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 1, 2012. Incumbent Eric A. Feige defeated George Rauscher in the August 28 Republican primary before defeating Jamey Duhamel (D) in the general election.
|Alaska House of Representatives, District 6, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Eric Feige Incumbent||72.2%||4,879|
|Alaska House of Representatives, District 6 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Eric A. Feige Incumbent||53.3%||1,373|
Since 2000, candidates for Alaska State House District 6 have raised a total of $372,130. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $19,586 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Alaska State House District 6|
- Alaska State Legislature
- Alaska State Senate
- Alaska House of Representatives
- Alaska state legislative districts
- Public Mapping Project, “Alaska 2010 Census Statistics,” October 17, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Population in 2010 of the American states," November 22, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Population in 2000 of the American states," November 27, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Alaska Legal Resource Center "Alaska Election Law," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute 15.40.320)
- Alaska Secretary of State, "Official primary candidate list," accessed June 4, 2014
- Alaska Secretary of State, "Unofficial primary election results," accessed August 20, 2014
- Alaska Division of Elections, "August 28, 2012 Primary Candidate List," November 29, 2013
- Alaska Division of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results," November 29, 2013
- Alaska Election Division, "Election Results 2012," November 16, 2012