Alejandro Rodriguez III
|Alejandro Rodriguez III|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Former candidate for|
|Board Member, Sharyland Board of Education, Place 1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||May 10, 2014|
Alejandro Rodriguez lost against incumbent Ricky Longoria in the election on May 10, 2014 for the Place 1 seat.
|Sharyland Independent School District,
Place 1 General Election, 3-year term, 2014
|Nonpartisan||Ricky Longoria Incumbent||62.2%||1,038|
|Nonpartisan||Alejandro Rodriguez III||37.8%||631|
|Source: Margaret Koenig, "Email correspondence with Amanda L. Valdez, Hidalgo County Elections Deptartment Administrative Assistant," February 23, 2015|
Rodriguez did not file a campaign finance report with the Texas Ethics Commission.
Rodriguez did not receive an endorsement in this election.
What was at stake?
Issues in the election
New election process
In April 2014, Sharyland ISD's election system was changed to elect members by place with no majority-vote requirements when more than two candidates run for the same place. Previously, only two of the seven places are named, Places 1 and 2, which were on the ballot in May 2014. The remaining places will be named over a three-year period, with board members who are up for re-election filing for the place they desire.
About the districtHidalgo County, Texas. The county seat of Hidalgo County is Edinburg. The county's population was 774,769 according to the 2010 U.S. Census.
Hidalgo County underperforms in comparison to the rest of Texas in terms of higher education attainment, median income and poverty rate. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 15.6% of Hidalgo County residents over 25 years old held undergraduate degrees compared to a 26.3% rate for the state of Texas. Hidalgo County had a median income of $33,218 in 2010 compared to $51,563 for Texas. The poverty rate for Hidalgo County was 35.0% in 2010 compared to a 17.4% rate for the rest of the state.
|Racial Demographics, 2012|
|Race||Hidalgo County (%)||Texas (%)|
|Black or African American||0.8||12.3|
|American Indian and Alaska Native||0.5||1.0|
|Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander||0||0.1|
|Two or More Races||0.4||1.7|
|Hispanic or Latino||90.9||38.2|
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin rather than a race. Citizens may report both their race and their place of origin, and as a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table may exceed 100 percent.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Alejandro + Rodriguez + III + Sharyland + Independent + School + District + Texas"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Texas Ethics Commission, "Campaign Finance Reports," accessed April 29, 2014
- Sharyland Independent School District, "Election Notice: Sharyland Independent School District Adopts New School Board Election System," April 4, 2014
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Hidalgo County," accessed March 11, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
|2014 Sharyland Independent School District Elections|
|Hidalgo County, Texas|
|Election date:||May 10, 2014|
|Candidates:||Place 1: Incumbent, Ricky Longoria • Julio Cerda |
Place 2: Incumbent, Juan F. Zuniga • Alejandro Rodriguez III
|Important information:||What was at stake? • Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|