|Board member, East Aurora School District 131 Board of Education, At-large|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||March 20, 2012|
|Next general||April 7, 2015|
|High school||Aurora Central Catholic High School|
|Bachelor's||Southern Illinois University at Carbondale|
|Place of birth||Aurora, Illinois|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Elections
- 3 Campaign themes
- 4 What's at stake?
- 5 About the district
- 6 Recent news
- 7 See also
- 8 External links
- 9 References
Arroyo earned his bachelor's degree from Southern Illinois University at Carbondale.
Four at-large seats on the East Aurora School District 131 Board of Education are up for general election on April 7, 2015. Only two incumbents, Raymond Hull and Mary Louise Peryea, are running for re-election. They face the following seven candidates: Alex Arroyo, Kenneth Darby, Julie Garofalo, Mary Garza, Kimberly Hatchett, John Laesch and Anita Lewis.
This election will take place on April 7, 2015.
Arroyo has not received any official endorsements for this election.
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 84 Democratic Primary, 2012|
Arroyo's 2012 campaign website listed the following issues:
- Economy/Job Creation
- Excerpt: "My top priority as your state representative is the creation of new jobs in our district and the preservation of jobs that are already here. A job is the cornerstone of a healthy family."
- Excerpt: "Born and raised in the 84th District, I have seen the value of my house drop while my property taxes have continued to rise. As the only candidate who lives in the district, I do not have to sell my house and move if the voters elect me to represent them."
- Excerpt: "Education is the key to so much of what we do in Illinois. Our children truly are our future."
What's at stake?
Issues in the district
New superintendent hired
The East Aurora School District 131 hired Dr. Michael Popp as its new superintendent in March 2015. Before accepting the position Popp served as the executive director for teaching and learning at the Indian Prairie School District 204. He will replace the district's former superintendent Dr. Jerome Roberts on April 1, 2015.
Popp grew up on Chicago's south side. He earned his bachelor's degree in special studies from Cornell College in Iowa in 1988. He went on to earn both a master's degree in educational leadership and a doctoral degree in education from Aurora University. He began his career in education teaching English at St. Rita High School, where he graduated. He later worked as a dean and a principal before taking on administrative roles.
After Roberts announced his retirement, the board of education asked the community for input on selecting the new superintendent through surveys, forums and in-person interviews.
About the district
East Aurora School District 131 is located in DuPage County in northeastern Illinois. The county seat of DuPage County is Wheaton. DuPage County was home to 932,126 residents in 2013, according to the United States Census Bureau. During the 2011-2012 school year, East Aurora School District 131 was the 12th-largest school district by enrollment in Illinois and served 14,502 students.
DuPage County outperformed the rest of Illinois in terms of higher education achievement in 2013. The United States Census Bureau found that 46.3 percent of DuPage County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 31.4 percent for Illinois as a whole. The median household income for DuPage County was $78,487, while it was $56,797 for the entire state. The poverty rate in DuPage County was 6.9 percent compared to 14.1 percent statewide.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the terms "Alex Arroyo East Aurora School District 131 ."
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of Google's news search engine.
- East Aurora School District 131
- 2015 Campaign website
- 2012 Campaign website
- 2012 Campaign Facebook page
- 2012 Vote Smart profile
- 2012 Twitter page
- Aurora Election Commission, "2015 Final Filings for School Board Members," accessed January 19, 2015
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Candidate List," accessed December 5, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results," accessed May 14, 2014
- Alex Arroyo Campaign website, "Issues," accessed March 2, 2012
- Chicago Tribune, "East Aurora School District 131 selects Dr. Michael Popp as Superintendent," March 12, 2015
- United States Census Bureau, "Champaign County, Illinois," accessed February 18, 2015
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed April 22, 2014
- DuPage County Election Commission, "Election Results," accessed February 18, 2015
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
|2015 East Aurora School District 131 Elections|
|DuPage County, Illinois|
|Election date:||April 7, 2015|
|Candidates:||At-large: • Incumbent, Raymond Hull • Incumbent, Mary Louise Peryea • Alex Arroyo • Kenneth Darby • Julie Garofalo • Mary Garza • Kimberly Hatchett • John Laesch • Anita Lewis|
|Important information:||What's at stake? • Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|