Alex Diaz de la Portilla
|Alex Diaz de la Portilla|
|Florida House of Representatives, District 112|
|Florida State Senate District 36|
Diaz de le Portilla was a volunteer for the Reagan-Bush Campaign in 1980. In 1984 he was Assistant to the State Director for the Reagan-Bush Youth Campaign. He served in the Florida State House of Representatives from 1994 to 2000. He joined the Florida State Senate in 2002 and has served in that position since. From 2002 to 2004 he was Senate President Pro Tempore. He has been Senate Majority Leader since 2008, representing the 36th District.
Diaz de la Portilla has worked as a Political Consultant for Diaz de la Portilla Incorporated. He has also worked as Vice President of De Mattress Incorporated. He is currently a Political Consultant for Winning Strategies Incorporated.
Diaz de la Portilla attended the University of Miami.
- Children, Families, and Elder Affairs Committee, Florida State Senate
- Communications, Energy, and Public Utilities Committee, Florida State Senate
- Ethics and Elections Committee, Florida State Senate
- Regulated Industries Committee, Florida State Senate
- Transportation and Economic Development Appropriations Committee, Florida State Senate
Diaz de la Portilla ran in the 2012 election for Florida House of Representatives District 112. Diaz de la Portilla defeated Gustavo Barreiro and Eric Cecillio Padron in the Republican primary on August 14, 2012, and was defeated by Jose Javier Rodriguez (D) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Florida House of Representatives, District 112, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Jose Javier Rodriguez||53.7%||28,053|
|Republican||Alex Diaz de la Portilla||46.3%||24,195|
|Florida House of Representatives, District 112 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Alex Diaz de la Portilla||58.8%||4,396|
- See also: Florida State Senate elections, 2010
Diaz de la Portilla did not run for re-election to the 36th District seat in 2010 as he reached his term limit. The primary took place on August 24, 2010. The general election took place on November 2, 2010.
On November 7, 2006, Diaz de la Portilla won re-election to the Florida Senate from Florida's 36th Senate district. Diaz de la Portilla received 50,879 votes in the election, defeating Angie Rodriguez (write-in), who received 30 votes. Diaz de la Portilla raised $284,500 for his campaign.
|Florida Senate, District 36|
|Alex Diaz de la Portilla (R)||50,879||99.9%|
|Angie Rodriguez (write-in)||30||0.1%|
In 2006, Diaz de la Portilla collected $284,500 in campaign donations. The five largest contributors to his campaign were as follows:
|Wellcare Health Plans||$2,000|
|Florida Retail Federation||$2,000|
|Florida Home Builders Association||$2,000|
|Florida Cable Telecommunications Association||$1,500|
|Hospital Corporation of America||$1,500|
Diaz de la Portilla has a wife, Claudia Davant.
- Official Florida State Senate website of Senator Alex Diaz de la Portilla
- Project Vote Smart Alex Diaz de la Portilla candidate summary
- Project Vote Smart Alex Diaz de la Portilla biography
- Alex Diaz de la Portilla on Facebook
- Campaign contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998
- Florida Secretary of State Elections Division "Candidate List" Accessed June 14, 2012
- [ http://election.dos.state.fl.us/elections/resultsarchive/Index.asp?ElectionDate=11/7/2006&DATAMODE= Florida Senate official election results for 2006]
- District 36 Florida Senate candidate funds, 2006
- 2006 contributions to Alex Diaz de la Portilla
|Florida Senate, District 36
| Succeeded by|
Miguel Diaz de la Portilla
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |