Allen Independent School District, Texas
|Allen Independent School District|
|Number of schools:||22|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Louise Master|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Allen Independent School District
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 See also
- 10 External links
- 11 References
About the districtAllen, a city located in Collin County, Texas. According to the United States Census Bureau, Allen is home to 89,640 residents.
Allen outperformed in comparison to the rest of Texas in terms of higher education achievement in 2010. The United States Census Bureau found that 51.4 percent of Allen residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.3 percent for Texas as a whole. The median household income in Allen was $101,966 compared to $51,563 for the state of Texas. The poverty rate in Allen was 4.8 percent compared to 17.4 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
The superintendent of Allen Independent School District is Lance Hindt as of April 9, 2014. He has served in the position since his appointment in March 2014. Hindt previously served as the superintendent of Stafford Municipal School District from 2011 to 2014.
The Allen Board of Trustees consists of seven members elected to three-year terms. Each member is elected to a specific seat but represents the entire district. Trustees are not paid but receive compensation for travel expenses and conference fees associated with district business.
|Allen Board of Trustees|
|Mark Jones (Texas)||7||2014|
School board elections
Members of the Board of Trustees are elected to three-year terms on a staggered basis. Two seats were up for election on May 10, 2014. Three seats will be on the ballot in May 2015 and two seats will be up for election in May 2016.
Public participation in board meetings
The Board of Trustees maintains the following policy regarding public participation in board meetings last updated in 2007:
Audience participation at a Board meeting is limited to the public comment portion of the meeting designated for that purpose. At all other times during a Board meeting, the audience shall not enter into discussion or debate on matters being considered by the Board, unless requested by the presiding officer.
No presentation shall exceed five minutes. Delegations of more than five persons shall appoint one person to present their views before the Board.
OTHER PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
COMPLAINTS AND CONCERNS
—Allen Independent School District's website, (2014), 
The table below displays the budget for Allen Independent School District:
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Teacher salaries at Allen Independent School District are categorized based on higher education achievement and years of service. A teacher with a Bachelor's degree can earn higher salaries by pursuing graduate degrees. The salary schedule also accounts for graduate degrees by providing higher starting salaries and greater potential salaries. The following table lists salaries for district teachers during the 2012-2013 school year:
|Degree level||Minimum salary ($)||Median salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
Schools in Allen Independent School District
Allen Independent School District operates 22 K-12 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Allen Independent School District|
|Allen High School|
|Anderson Elementary School|
|Bolin Elementary School|
|Boon Elementary School|
|Boyd Elementary School|
|Chandler Elementary School|
|Cheatham Elementary School|
|Curtis Middle School|
|Ereckson Middle School|
|Evans Elementary School|
|Ford Middle School|
|Green Elementary School|
|Kerr Elementary School|
|Lindsey Elementary School|
|Lowery Freshman Center|
|Marion Elementary School|
|Norton Elementary School|
|Olson Elementary School|
|Reed Elementary School|
|Rountree Elementary School|
|Story Elementary School|
|Vaughan Elementary School|
The Texas Education Agency issues an annual accountability report for each school district in the state. This rating determines if district schools fulfill expectations in four categories of educational achievement during a particular school year. The following terms explain these categories:
- Student Achievement: Measures student performance on the annual Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS) test.
- Student Progress: Measures student performance in reading, math and writing courses at the district level.
- Closing Performance Gaps: Measures year-to-year performance among students in the lowest-performing demographics.
- Postsecondary Readiness: Measures student readiness for college, employment or military service after graduation.
Allen Independent School District received a Met Standard designation on the state's 2013 report. District schools met 100% of indicators set forth by state education officials and all four assessment categories. The following table details the district's accountability report during the 2012-2013 school year:
|Performance Index Summary, 2012-2013|
|Category||Points earned||Maximum points||Index score||Target score|
|Closing Performance Gaps||1,308||1,500||87||55|
- List of school districts in Texas
- Allen Independent School District elections (2014)
- School Board Elections portal
- Allen Independent School District
- City of Allen
- Texas Education Agency
- Texas Association of School Boards
- Texas Education Agency, "2012-2013 District Performance," accessed April 10, 2014
- Allen Independent School District, "History of Allen ISD," accessed April 10, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Allen, Texas," accessed April 7, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "Historical Election Results," accessed April 7, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Allen Independent School District, "Dr. Lance Hindt Assumes Role As Allen ISD Superintendent of Schools," accessed April 9, 2014
- Allen Independent School District, "Eligibility/Qualifications," October 6, 2011
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Allen Independent School District, "Public Participation," August 31, 2007
- Allen Independent School District, "Budget Reports and Financial Statements," accessed December 12, 2014
- Allen Independent School District, "Teacher Hiring Schedule," accessed April 9, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed January 27, 2014
- Allen Independent School District, "District Profile," accessed April 10, 2014
- Texas Education Agency, "Accountability Summary 2013: Allen ISD," accessed April 8, 2014