Lambert is a retired Judge Advocate General officer in the US Army. She earned her Master's degree from Judge Advocate School in Virginia and her law degree from the University of Texas. Lambert has two children enrolled in Fairbanks North Star Borough School District.
Lambert defeated two other candidate for the Seat D position in the general election on October 1, 2013.
|Fairbanks School Board, Seat D, October 1, 2013|
|Source: Fairbanks North Star Borough|
As of September 25, 2013, Lambert had not disclosed any campaign finance expenditures or contributions to the Alaska Secretary of State.
Lambert has not received any official endorsements for her campaign.
In an interview with the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, Lambert explained her view on the district's most pressing issues:
"I think the budget is always going to be one of the most important issues any time. I really think we need to take somewhat of an aggressive approach to find the money where we can and make sure we’re fiscally responsible with the money we do have. The superintendent has said the budget is going to be flatlined for like the next five years, but we need to go out and press hard and lobby for additional funding from both the state and local government to make sure our students have the resources to be competitive when they graduate."
What's at stake?
Three positions including the president position currently held by Kristina Brophy are up for election on October 1, 2013. The most significant controversy currently facing the school district is a Fairbanks North Star Borough Assembly proposal to allow Fairbanks North Star Borough School District employees to carry firearms on campus.
The district has three charter schools. The Chinook Charter School serves grades K-8 and utlizes a Montessori style education system. The Effie Kokrine Charter School is a charter school serving students in grades 7-12 focusing on a college prepatory curriculum with a culture grounded in Alaska Native culture and traditions. The Watershed School serves grades K-9 and emphasizes nature education as well as a traditional curriculum.
Home school program
The district offers a homeschool program, Fairbanks B.E.S.T., which serves approximately 265 students. B.E.S.T. offers staff to help parents with curricular development, students to participate in school activities, the opportunity to enroll in up to two classes at district schools, and 24/7 technical support.
About the district
Fairbanks North Star Borough outperforms the rest of Alaska based on percentage of people below poverty level and high school graduation rates, while slightly underperforming the rest of Alaska in median household income. The median household income for Fairbanks North Star Borough is $68,922 when compared to $69,014 for the state of Alaska. The percentage of people below poverty level for Fairbanks North Star Borough is 7.8% while it is 9.5% for the state of Alaska. 93.0% of persons over the age of 25 have a high school degree, while 91.4% of Alaska residents have a high school degree. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 27.7% of Fairbanks North Star Borough residents aged 25 or older have a bachelor's degree, while the same rate is 27.2% for the state of Alaska.
- Fairbanks North Star Borough School District, Alaska
- Fairbanks North Star Borough School District Elections (2013)
- Weston Morrow News Miner.com, "About Allyson Lambert," September 23, 2013
- Fairbanks, Alaska, "FAIRBANKS NORTH STAR BOROUGH OCTOBER 1, 2013 REGULAR ELECTION OFFICIAL CANDIDATE LIST," Accessed September 25, 2013
- APOC Online Records "2013 Statewide Municipal Candidates" Accessed August 2, 2013
- Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, " Three vie for Fairbanks school board Seat D in Tuesday's vote," September 24, 2013
- State Charter School Directory
- Chinook Charter School "About" Accessed August 7, 2013
- Effie Kokrine Charter School "About" Accessed August 7, 2013
- The Watershed School "School Philosophy" Accessed August 7, 2013
- Fairbanks North Star Borough School District "Fairbanks B.E.S.T. Report Card" Accessed August 7, 2013
- Fairbanks B.E.S.T. "About" Accessed August 7, 2013
- United States Census Bureau "Fairbanks North Star Borough, Alaska Quickfacts" Accessed August 6, 2013
- United States Census Bureau "2010 Census Date" Accessed August 6, 2013