|Alabama House of Representatives District 78|
|November 5, 2014|
|Years in position||40|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Alabama State University|
|Master's||Alabama State University|
|Other||OIC, University of Pennsylvania and LLD, Jones School of Law|
Holmes is currently a college professor and real estate broker.
Holmes served on these committees in the 2011-2012 legislative session:
Elections for the office of Alabama House of Representatives will consist of a primary election on June 3, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 7, 2013. Incumbent Alvin Holmes is unopposed in the Democratic primary, and Tijuana Adetunji is unopposed in the Republican primary.
|Alabama House of Representatives, District 78 General Election (2010)|
|Alvin Holmes (D)||7,349|
|Larry Thomas (I)||1,313|
Holmes raised $120,812 for his campaign.
In 2010, Holmes raised $91,631 in contributions.
His three largest contributors were:
|Alabama Education Association||$11,918|
|Alabama Trial Lawyers Association||$8,500|
Below are Holmes's top 5 campaign contributors in 2008, a year in which there was no election:
|AL Education Assoc||$5,000|
|AL Trial Lawyers Assoc||$2,500|
|Fight Back for Justice Fund||$2,500|
In 2006, Holmes raised $120,812 in donations.
Listed below are those that made the largest contributions.
|Alabama Education Association||$16,739|
|Seth Hammett Campaign||$10,000|
|Alabama Trial Lawyers Association||$9,500|
Holmes has one child.
He is a member of the Hutchinson Missionary Baptist Church, Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Montgomery Improvement Association, Southern Christian Leadership Conference, Alabama Southern Christian Leadership Conference Board, and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Alvin + Holmes + Alabama + House" Alvin Holmes News Feed
- Alabama Dem: I Don't Like Clarence Thomas Because ?He's Married To A White ... - Town Hall
- Alabama Democrat Not A Fan Of 'Uncle Tom' Clarence Thomas' Interracial ... - Personal Liberty Digest
- Clarence Thomas Called ?Uncle Tom,? Again ? Project 21 Responds - Amy Ridenour's National Center Blog (blog)
- Ala. Dem. calls Clarence Thomas 'Uncle Tom,' disparages marriage to white ... - Examiner.com
- Right on cue, Democratic politician makes insulting, racist remark about ... - Daily Caller
- Erie County Real Estate Transactions - Buffalo News
- Alabama Legislature - Alvin Holmes
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Campaign contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006, 2002, 1998
- Alabama Democrats, "Qualified candidates for public office list," accessed February 27, 2014
- Alabama Republican Party, "State Senate," accessed February 27, 2014
- Statewide general election results (Archived), accessed December 13, 2013
- 2006 election results, Alabama
- Alabama House spending, 2006
- followthemoney.org, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign contributions
- 2006 contributions to Alvin Holmes
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Holmes
|Alabama House District 78
| Succeeded by|
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|