Alvin Independent School District, Texas
|Alvin Independent School District|
|Number of schools:||23|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Fred Brent|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Alvin Independent School District
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 See also
- 10 External links
- 11 References
About the districtAlvin, Texas, a city located in Brazoria County. According to the United States Census Bureau, Alvin is home to 24,905 residents. Alvin Independent School District is the 65th-largest school district in Texas, serving 17,367 students during the 2010-11 school year.
Alvin underperformed in comparison to the rest of Texas in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 14.4% of Alvin residents aged 25 years and older had attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 26.3% for Texas as a whole. The median household income in Alvin was $45,638 compared to $51,563 for the state of Texas. The poverty rate in Alvin was 18.3% compared to 17.4% for the entire state.
The superintendent of Alvin Independent School District during the 2013-2014 school year was Fred Brent. He has served in the position since his appointment in 2010. Brent has a contract with the district through the 2015-2016 school year.
The Alvin Board of Trustees consists of seven members elected to three-year terms. Each member is elected to a specific seat but represents the entire district. Trustees are not paid but receive compensation for travel expenses and conference fees associated with district business.
|Alvin Board of Trustees|
School board elections
Members of the Board of Trustees are elected to three-year terms on a staggered basis. Two seats are up for election on May 10, 2014. Three seats will be on the ballot in May 2015 and two seats will be up for election in May 2016.
Public participation in board meetings
The Board of Trustees maintains the following policy regarding public participation in board meetings last updated in 2012:
|“|| Audience participation at a Board meeting is limited to the public comment portion of the meeting designated for that purpose. At all other times during a Board meeting, the audience shall not enter into discussion or debate on matters being considered by the Board, unless requested by the presiding officer.
No presentation shall exceed five minutes. Delegations of more than five persons shall appoint one person to present their views before the Board.
COMPLAINTS AND CONCERNS
Alvin Independent School District publishes its annual budget on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Teacher salaries at Alvin Independent School District are categorized based on higher education achievement and years of service. A teacher with a Bachelor's degree can earn higher salaries by pursuing graduate degrees. The salary schedule also accounts for graduate degrees by providing higher starting salaries and greater potential salaries. The following table lists salaries for district teachers during the 2013-2014 school year:
|Degree level||Minimum salary ($)||Median salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
Schools in Alvin Independent School District
The district's K-12 student enrollment increased from 17,367 students during the 2010-2011 school year to 18,767 students during the 2012-2013 school year.
Alvin Independent School District operates 23 K-12 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Alvin Independent School District|
|Alvin Elementary School|
|Alvin High School|
|Alvin Junior High School|
|Alvin Primary School|
|Don Jeter Elementary School|
|E.C. Mason Elementary School|
|Fairview Junior High School|
|G.W. Harby Jr. High School|
|Glenn York Elementary School|
|Hood-Case Elementary School|
|Laura Ingalls Wilder Elementary School|
|Longfellow Elementary School|
|Manvel High School|
|Marvel Junior High School|
|Mark Twain Elementary School|
|Mary Burks Marek Elementary School|
|Melba Passmore Elementary School|
|Nolan Ryan Junior High School|
|R.L. Stevenson Primary School|
|Savannah Lakes Elementary School|
|Walt Disney Elementary School|
The Texas Education Agency issues an annual accountability report for each school district in the state. This rating determines if district schools fulfill expectations in four categories of educational achievement during a particular school year. The following terms explain these categories:
- Student Achievement: Measures student performance on the annual Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS) test.
- Student Progress: Measures student performance in reading, math and writing courses at the district level.
- Closing Performance Gaps: Measures year-to-year performance among students in the lowest-performing demographics.
- Postsecondary Readiness: Measures student readiness for college, employment or military service after graduation.
Alvin Independent School District received a Met Standard designation on the state's 2013 report. District schools met 94% of indicators set forth by state education officials and all four assessment categories. The following table details the district's accountability report during the 2012-2013 school year:
|Performance Index Summary, 2012-2013|
|Category||Points earned||Maximum points||Index score||Target score|
|Closing Performance Gaps||1,115||1,500||74||55|
- List of school districts in Texas
- Alvin Independent School District elections (2014)
- School Board Elections portal
- Alvin Independent School District
- City of Alvin, Texas
- Texas Education Agency
- Texas Association of School Boards
- Texas Education Agency, "2012-2013 Texas Academic Performance Report: Alvin ISD," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alvin Independent School District, "Quick Facts," accessed February 25, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Alvin, Texas," accessed February 25, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed January 27, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "Historical Election Results," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alvin Independent School District, "Alvin ISD Board votes 7-0 to extend superintendent contract," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alvin Independent School District, "Eligibility/Qualifications," September 29, 2011
- Alvin Independent School District, "Public Participation," November 26, 2012
- Alvin Independent School District, "Business," accessed December 6, 2013
- Alvin Independent School District, "2013-2014 Salary Schedule," May 14, 2013
- Alvin Independent School District, "Schools Directory," accessed February 25, 2014
- Texas Education Agency, "Accountability Summary 2013: Alvin ISD," accessed February 25, 2014