Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Aurora Public Schools Board of Education, At-large|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|First elected||November 5, 2013|
|Bachelor's||University of Denver|
Drevon earned a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration from the University of Denver in 2004. She currently works as a billing manager for United Martial Arts Center. Drevon has three children who currently attend district schools.
- See also: Aurora Public Schools elections (2013)
|Aurora Public Schools Board of Education, At-large, November 5, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||JulieMarie Shepherd Incumbent||22.5%||16,466|
|Source: Adams County Elections, "2013 Coordinated Election," November 27, 2013, Arapahoe County Elections, "2013 Coordinated Election," November 22, 2013|
The Aurora Sentinel endorsed Drevon on October 24, 2013.
In an interview with The Denver Post, Drevon explained her reasons for running in 2013:
This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
|“||I'm very invested in my children's education and have always volunteered in their school as a means of being involved and knowledgeable...I hope to help encourage our district to do a better job of proactively seeking teacher feedback and incorporating that feedback into education and professional excellence innovative solutions.||”|
What was at stake?
JulieMarie Shepherd was the only incumbent to seek re-election in the 2013 election. Board members Jane Barber, Jeanette Carmany and Matthew Cook were ineligible to run for third terms because of Amendment 17 to the Colorado Constitution, which says that no "elected official of any...school district....shall serve more than two consecutive terms in office."
About the district
- See also: Aurora Public Schools, Colorado
Aurora lagged behind the rest of Colorado in median income, poverty rate and higher education achievement according to the 2010 U.S. Census. The average household income in Aurora was $50,468 compared to $57,685 for the state of Colorado. The poverty rate in Aurora was 16.5% compared to 12.5% for the entire state. The U.S. Census also found that 26.1% of Aurora residents aged 25 years and older earned a Bachelor's degree compared to a 36.3% rate in Colorado.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Amber + Drevon + Aurora + Public + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Denver Post, "Five vie for seats on Aurora Public Schools Board of Education," October 8, 2013
- TRACER, "Candidate Detail," Accessed December 18, 2013
- Aurora Sentinel, "EDITORIAL: Sentinel choices for school board: Cherry Creek: Perlis; APS: Nelson, Armstrong, Shepherd and Drevon," October 24, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Aurora, accessed: November 18, 2013
- Colorado Secretary of State, “Voter Registration Numbers,” Accessed October 24, 2013