American Federation of Teachers
|American Federation of Teachers|
|Top official:||Randi Weingarten|
"The mission of the American Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO, is to improve the lives of our members and their families; to give voice to their legitimate professional, economic and social aspirations; to strengthen the institutions in which we work; to improve the quality of the services we provide; to bring together all members to assist and support one another; and to promote democracy, human rights and freedom in our union, in our nation and throughout the world."
The American Federation of Teachers was founded in 1916. The organization currently represents 1.5 million members.
The AFT is governed by their 43 member executive council and by delegates to the union’s biennial convention. Council members are elected and are in charge of setting organizational policies.
- President: Randi Weingarten
- Secretary-Treasurer: Lorretta Johnson
- Executive Vice President: Francine Lawrence
According to OpenSecrets.org, the American Federation of Teachers spent $8,578,462 in the 2012 election cycle.
In the 2012 election cycle, the American Federation of Teachers supported the following candidates:
|Top 5 largest American Federation of Teachers expenditures in 2012|
Call for Arne Duncan's improvement
The American Federation of Teachers passed a resolution on July 13, 2014, calling for Education Department Secretary Arne Duncan's resignation if he didn't show improvement under a plan proposed by President Barack Obama. The resolution urged the department to move away from No Child Left Behind Act and Race to the Top's "test-and-punish" tactics to move toward a system of supporting the improvement of teachers and students. AFT President Randi Weingarten claimed the vote represented the union saying, "'Enough is enough.' Teachers are evaluated and their future livelihoods are linked to that. And when they fall short, they should have a chance to improve. And that’s what this special order represents." A department spokesperson said of the vote, "the transformation that educators and policymakers are leading to prepare all students for college and careers is incredibly difficult, and too often the adults fight about how to best help the kids."
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "American+ Federation+ of+ Teachers"
- All stories may not be relevant to this organization due to the nature of the search engine.
- American Federation of Teachers, "American Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO," accessed March 12, 2011
- AFT.org, "About," accessed December 16, 2013
- AFT.org, "Leadership," accessed December 16, 2013
- Open Secrets, "American Federation of Teachers," accessed December 16, 2013
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Politico, "Another teachers union ding for Arne Duncan," July 13, 2014
- Education Week, "NEA Calls for Secretary Duncan's Resignation," July 4, 2014