Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Board member, Alpine Board of Education, District 5|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
- See also: Alpine School District elections (2014)
Amy Garner is running against incumbent JoDee C. Sundberg and five fellow challengers in the primary election on June 24, 2014.
As of June 10, 2014, Garner has not filed a campaign finance report with the Utah County Clerk.
As of June 10, 2014, Garner has not received an endorsement in this election.
What's at stake?
Issues in the district
Anti-Common Core lawsuit
In February 2014, a family filed a lawsuit against Alpine School District regarding Common Core's effect on their 11-year old son. The parents alleged that after their son's school moved him to a different classroom, he started to suffer both psychologically and academically. According to the lawsuit, the parents requested an individual education plan (IEP) which they were denied on the grounds that their son didn't qualify for the parameters of the plan. Furthermore, the lawsuit stated:
- Allegations of retaliation for utilizing professional help linked to “Anti-Common Core” advocacy.
- Allegations of unethical and invalid use of psychological testing to conform to predetermined outcome.
- Allegations of ignoring parent’s desperate pleas for assistance for son.
- Allegation of callous attitude towards parents as exhibited in 50 pages of “obtained” Alpine District inter-office/district emails.
About the district
- See also: Alpine School District, Utah
Utah County overperformed in comparison to the rest of Utah in terms of higher education achievement and median household income in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 35.7 percent of Utah County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 29.9 percent for Utah as a whole. The median household income in Utah County was $59,864 compared to $58,164 for the state of Utah. The poverty rate in Utah County was 13.6 percent compared to 12.1 percent for the entire state.
|Racial Demographics, 2012|
|Race||Utah County (%)||Utah (%)|
|Black or African American||0.7||1.3|
|American Indian and Alaska Native||0.8||1.5|
|Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander||0.8||1.0|
|Two or More Races||2.3||2.3|
|Hispanic or Latino||11.0||13.3|
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Amy + Garner + Alpine + School + District + Utah"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Utah County, "Financial Disclosures," accessed June 10, 2014
- Truth in American Education, "Anti-Common Core Lawsuit Filed in Utah," February 7, 2014
- Politichicks, "Utah Family Sues Over Common Core Retaliation," February 7, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Utah County, Utah," accessed May 14, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed May 14, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
|2014 Alpine School District Elections|
|Utah County, Utah|
|Election date:||November 4, 2014|
|Candidates:||District 1: • Incumbent, Paula Hill • Julie King |
District 5: • Todd Seager • Incumbent, JoDee C. Sundberg • Megan Keller • Maynard R. Olsen • Amy Garner • Keri Guinn • Heidi M. Bailey
|Important information:||Key deadlines|