Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Alabama State Senate, District 27|
Carter's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Bringing Integrity back to Montgomery
- Excerpt: "Integrity is key to the people’s trust in our government. Too many elected officials are lining their own pockets and living out of their campaign accounts while claiming the best interests of their constituency. Andy Carter believes the trust between public servants and the people must be restored, and he’s running as an alternative to the status quo. He supports all measures to make government more transparent and accountable, and Andy will put the needs of the people first, not those of the Montgomery insiders."
- Supporting Public Education
- Excerpt: "Public education is vital to the future of the state of Alabama yet both sides of the issues demonize the other, while too many schools fail to adequately provide for the educational needs of our children. Andy Carter believes there is a better way to make public education work. He believes there is common ground where teachers and students can be supported."
- Streamlining State Government
- Excerpt: "Whenever state revenues are down, the first legislative instinct is to raise taxes and/or fees on working folks and retirees, even in an extended recession. Andy Carter will not vote for fee, license or tax increases. He believes there is enough duplication and waste in state government to trim the fat before any discussions take place on raising other sources of revenue."
- Repealing Common Core
- Excerpt: "Common Core must be stopped. Education standards should be dictated by local school boards, not by the federal government. Common Core attempts a one-size-fits-all approach to education which assumes that the educational needs of inner-city Chicago or New York, are the same as Auburn Alabama. However, education is a state-level responsibility where parental and community input can and should be heard. Montgomery leadership must listen to the concerns of the people and stop Common Core."
- Supporting the Right to Life
- Excerpt: "Andy Carter believes in the sanctity of life and is opposed to abortion."
- Protecting the Second Amendment
- Excerpt: "Andy Carter is a retired Lieutenant Colonel in the Air Force, who believes strongly that the Second Amendment must be protected. In the words of Thomas Jefferson, 'Laws that forbid the carrying of arms, disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.'"
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Alabama State Senate will take place in 2014. A primary election took place June 3, 2014; a runoff election took place where necessary on July 15, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 7, 2014. Haylee Moss was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbent Tom Whatley defeated Andy Carter in the Republican primary. Moss will face Whatley in the general election.
|Alabama State Senate, District 27 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Tom Whatley Incumbent||53.1%||7,950|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Andy + Carter + Alabama + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Alabama State Legislature
- Alabama State Senate
- Alabama state legislative districts
- Alabama House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Alabama Democrats, "Qualified candidates for public office list," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alabama Republican Party, "State Senate," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Democratic Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Republican Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014