For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Anna Lisa Vargas
|Anna Lisa Vargas|
|Board member, Coachella Valley Unified School District, Trustee Area 1|
|Years in position||5|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Bachelor's||University of California at Irvine|
Three seats were up for general election on the Coachella Valley Unified School District Board of Education on November 4, 2014. Incumbent Anna Lisa Vargas and challengers Karen C. Hernandez, Blanca Torres Hall, Trinidad Arredondo, Rudy Gutierrez, Alma Delia Silva and Joey Acuña Jr. ran for two seats in Trustee Area 1. Vargas and Acuña won the election. Incumbent Meagan Caress ran unopposed and won re-election to Trustee Area 2.
|Coachella Valley Unified School District, Trustee Area 1 General Election, 4-year term, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Joey Acuña Jr.||17.1%||1,838|
|Nonpartisan||Anna Lisa Vargas Incumbent||17%||1,833|
|Nonpartisan||Blanca Torres Hall||16.8%||1,810|
|Nonpartisan||Karen C. Hernandez||15.3%||1,646|
|Nonpartisan||Alma Delia Silva||11.7%||1,261|
|Source: Riverside County Registrar of Voters, "Consolidated General Election, November 4, 2014," accessed December 22, 2014|
Vargas did not receive any official endorsements for this election.
|Coachella Valley Unified School District, Trustee Area 1 General Election, 4-year term, 2010|
|Nonpartisan||Anna Lisa Vargas Incumbent||35.8%||3,614|
|Nonpartisan||Gloria G. Maldonado||21.1%||2,128|
|Nonpartisan||Jerardo "Jerry" Mendoza||14.9%||1,503|
|Source: Riverside County Registrar of Voters, "November 2, 2010 Final Official Results," accessed August 11, 2014|
What was at stake?
Issues in the district
Recall effort falls short
Five members of the Coachella Valley Unified School District Board of Education were targeted in a 2013 recall effort that failed to get enough signatures. A group of parents in the district served the board members recall notices on May 2, 2013, citing poor spending choices, intimidation tactics and destabilizing school sites by firing or reassigning 40 school administrators since 2011 as reasons for the recall. Election laws required the group to collect at least 4,109 signatures by December 2, 2013, but the group was short of 4,000 signatures at the deadline. Incumbent Anna Lisa Vargas was the only board member up for re-election in 2014 who was targeted in the recall effort. She won her bid for re-election in the general election on November 4, 2014.
About the district
Coachella Valley Unified School District is located in Riverside County, California. The county seat of Riverside County is Riverside. Riverside County was home to 2,292,507 residents in 2013, according to the United States Census Bureau. In the 2011-2012 school year, Coachella Valley Unified School District was the 88th-largest school district in California and served 18,406 students.
Riverside County underperformed compared to the rest of California in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 20.5 percent of Riverside County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 30.5 percent for California as a whole. The median household income for Riverside County was $57,096 compared to $61,400 for the entire state. The percentage of people below poverty level for Riverside County was 15.6 percent while it was 15.3 percent statewide.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Anna + Lisa + Vargas + Coachella + Valley + Unified + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Coachella Valley Unified School District, California
- Coachella Valley Unified School District elections (2014)
- Coachella Valley Unified School District Board recall, California (2013)
- Riverside County Registrar of Voters, "Contest/Candidate Proof List Consolidated General Election," accessed September 9, 2014
- The Desert Sun Archives, "Anna Lisa Vargas, Coachella Valley Unified School District Board candidate," accessed August 11, 2014
- Riverside County Registrar of Voters, "Viewing filing activity for Vargas, Anna Lisa," accessed October 26, 2014
- Channel 3 News, "Community calls for CVUSD school board recall," May 2, 2013
- Riverside County Office of Education, "Coachella Valley Unified School District recall effort falls short," December 2, 2013
- Desert Sun, "Valley school board races heating up," July 19, 2014
- Riverside County Registrar of Voters, "Consolidated General Election, November 4, 2014," accessed December 22, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Riverside County, California," accessed July 3, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed April 22, 2014
- County of Riverside Registrar of Voters, "Past Elections," accessed July 3, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
|2014 Coachella Valley Unified School District Elections|
|Riverside County, California|
|Election date:||November 4, 2014|
|Candidates:||Trustee Area 1: • Incumbent, Anna Lisa Vargas • Joey Acuña Jr. • Trinidad Arredondo • Rudy Gutierrez • Blanca Torres Hall • Karen C. Hernandez • Alma Delia Silva |
Trustee Area 2: • Meagan Caress
|Important information:||What was at stake? • Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|