Anna Lisa Vargas
Anna Lisa Vargas represents Trustee Area 1 on the Coachella Valley Unified School District Board of Education in California. She is running for re-election against six challengers in the general election on November 4, 2014.
Three seats are up for general election on the Coachella Valley Unified School District Board of Education on November 4, 2014. Incumbent Anna Lisa Vargas and challengers Karen C. Hernandez, Blanca Torres Hall, Trinidad Arredondo, Rudy Gutierrez, Alma Delia Silva and Joey Acuña Jr. are running for two seats in Trustee Area 1. Incumbent Meagan Caress is running unopposed for Trustee Area 2.
|Coachella Valley Unified School District, Trustee Area 1 General Election, 4-year term, 2010|
|Nonpartisan||Anna Lisa Vargas Incumbent||35.8%||3,614|
|Nonpartisan||Gloria G. Maldonado||21.1%||2,128|
|Nonpartisan||Jerardo "Jerry" Mendoza||14.9%||1,503|
|Source: Riverside County Registrar of Voters, "November 2, 2010 Final Official Results," accessed August 11, 2014|
What's at stake?
Issues in the district
Recall effort falls short
Five members of the Coachella Valley Unified School District Board of Education were targeted in a 2013 recall effort that failed to get enough signatures. A group of parents in the district served the board members recall notices on May 2, 2013, citing poor spending choices, intimidation tactics and destabilizing school sites by firing or reassigning 40 school administrators since 2011 as reasons for the recall. Election laws required the group to collect at least 4,109 signatures by December 2, 2013, but the group was short of 4,000 signatures at the deadline. Incumbent Anna Lisa Vargas is the only board member up for re-election in 2014 who was targeted in the recall effort.
About the district
Coachella Valley Unified School District is located in Riverside County, California. The county seat of Riverside County is Riverside. Riverside County was home to 2,292,507 residents in 2013, according to the United States Census Bureau. In the 2011-2012 school year, Coachella Valley Unified School District was the 88th-largest school district in California and served 18,406 students.
Riverside County underperformed compared to the rest of California in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 20.5 percent of Riverside County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 30.5 percent for California as a whole. The median household income for Riverside County was $57,096 compared to $61,400 for the entire state. The percentage of people below poverty level for Riverside County was 15.6 percent while it was 15.3 percent statewide.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Anna + Lisa + Vargas + Coachella + Valley + Unified + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Coachella Valley Unified School District, California
- Coachella Valley Unified School District elections (2014)
- Coachella Valley Unified School District Board recall, California (2013)
- Riverside County Registrar of Voters, "Contest/Candidate Proof List Consolidated General Election," accessed August 11, 2014
- The Desert Sun Archives, "Anna Lisa Vargas, Coachella Valley Unified School District Board candidate," accessed August 11, 2014
- Channel 3 News, "Community calls for CVUSD school board recall," May 2, 2013
- Riverside County Office of Education, "Coachella Valley Unified School District recall effort falls short," December 2, 2013
- Desert Sun, "Valley school board races heating up," July 19, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Riverside County, California," accessed July 3, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed April 22, 2014
- County of Riverside Registrar of Voters, "Past Elections," accessed July 3, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
|2014 Coachella Valley Unified School District Elections|
|Riverside County, California|
|Election date:||November 4, 2014|
|Candidates:||Trustee Area 1: • Incumbent, Anna Lisa Vargas • Karen C. Hernandez • Blanca Torres Hall • Trinidad Arredondo • Rudy Gutierrez • Alma Delia Silva • Joey Acuña Jr. |
Trustee Area 2: • Meagan Caress
|Important information:||Key deadlines • What's at stake? • Additional elections on the ballot|