For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Former candidate for|
|Board member, Palm Springs Unified Board of Education, Trustee Area 3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Date of birth||4/20/1947|
|Place of birth||Topola, Yugoslavia|
- 1 Elections
- 2 Campaign themes
- 3 What was at stake?
- 4 About the district
- 5 Recent news
- 6 See also
- 7 External links
- 8 References
Palm Springs Unified Board of Education
Three seats on the Palm Springs Unified School District Board of Education were up for general election on November 4, 2014. Trustee Area 3 incumbent Karen Cornett was the only incumbent running for re-election. She defeated challenger Anna Nevenic for re-election in Area 3. James Williamson defeated Vanessa Sheldon, Noel E. White and K. Magdalena Andrasevits for the open Trustee Area 4 seat. John Gerardi won the open Trustee Area 5 seats by defeating fellow newcomer Eduardo Medina.
This was the first year Palm Springs Unified School District elected members to the board of education by trustee area. Prior to 2014, members were elected at-large.
|Palm Springs Unified School District, Trustee Area 3 General Election, 4-year term, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Karen Cornett Incumbent||64%||5,364|
|Source: Riverside County Registrar of Voters, "Consolidated General Election, November 4, 2014," accessed December 23, 2014|
Nevenic filed Form 470 with the Riverside County Registrar of Voters, indicating she did not intend to raise or spend more than $1,000 for her 2014 campaign. Because of this, Nevenic did not have to file any additional campaign finance reports.
Nevenic did not receive any official endorsements for this election.
California State Senate
- See also: California State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of California State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 7, 2014. Bonnie Garcia (R) and Jeff Stone (R) defeated Philip Drucker (D), Anna Nevenic (D), William "Bill" Carns (R) and Glenn A. Miller (R) in the blanket primary. Garcia was defeated by Stone in the general election.
|California State Senate, District 28, General Election, 2014|
Nevenic ran in a special election for California State Senate District 40. The seat was vacant following Juan Vargas's (D) election to the 51st Congressional District of California on November 6, 2012. Nevenic was defeated by Ben Hueso(D) in the special election on March 12, 2013.
Nevenic's campaign website for her state Senate race highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "As your state senator, I promise to fight for education, health care reforms, creation of well paid jobs, making college tuition affordable, and making sure that our senior citzens get the protection and security they deserve."
What was at stake?
Issues in the district
District named in student exercise lawsuit
Palm Springs Unified School District, along with 36 other school districts across the state, was named in a lawsuit alleging the district's students were not getting enough exercise. The state mandates schools give students in kindergarten through sixth grade 200 minutes of exercise every 10 days of class, in addition to lunch and recess. The lawsuit was filed by Marc Babin and the nonprofit organization Cal200, which he leads. Palm Springs Director of Elementary Education Tony Knapp said this was the first time the district has ever received a complaint about the number of minutes students exercise and that though teachers do meet the guidelines, they are stretched thin. In order to prepare for the lawsuit, teachers were asked to keep their lesson plans detailing the time and activities students spent on exercise from the 2013-2014 school year. An attorney for districts named in the case said Babin did not have a relationship with Palm Springs Unified School District before filing the lawsuit.
About the district
Palm Springs Unified School District is located in Riverside County, California. The county seat of Riverside County is Riverside. Riverside County was home to 2,292,507 residents in 2013, according to the United States Census Bureau. In the 2011-2012 school year, Palm Springs Unified School District was the 54th-largest school district by enrollment in California and served 23,676 students.
Riverside County underperformed compared to the rest of California in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 20.5 percent of Riverside County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 30.5 percent for California as a whole. The median household income for Riverside County was $57,096 compared to $61,400 for the entire state. The percentage of people below poverty level for Riverside County was 15.6 percent while it was 15.3 percent statewide.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Anna + Nevenic + Palm + Springs + Unified + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Palm Springs Unified School District, California
- Palm Springs Unified School District elections (2014)
- California State Senate
- California State Senate elections, 2014
- California State Legislature
- California State Senate District 28
- Palm Springs Unified School District
- State Senate campaign website
- 2014 Smart Voter profile
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Riverside County Registrar of Voters, "Contest/Candidate Proof List Consolidated General Election," accessed September 9, 2014
- Desert Vortex News, "City Finally Gains School Rep," January 13, 2014
- Riverside County Registrar of Voters, "Viewing filing activity for Nevenic, Anna," accessed October 29, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Official 2014 Primary election candidate list," accessed March 27, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed July 15, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Official general election results," accessed December 14, 2014
- Imperial Valley Press, "Special election will fill seat vacated by Vargas," November 14, 2012
- U-T San Diego, "2 REPUBLICANS JOIN STATE SENATE RACE," January 19, 2013
- SCPR.org, "32nd Senate District race heads to a May runoff to represent Pomona, Fontana and Ontario," March 13, 2013
- sos.ca.gov, "Official special election results," accessed November 18, 2013
- California Secretary of State, "Official primary candidate list," accessed March 13, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Unofficial election results," November 6, 2012 (dead link)
- annanevenic.com "Official Campaign Website," accessed May 7, 2014
- Channel 3 News, "Local school districts face lawsuit over PE teachings," August 6, 2014
- The Desert Sun, "Mystery group sues over school physical education," July 8, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Riverside County, California," accessed July 3, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed April 22, 2014
- County of Riverside Registrar of Voters, "Past Elections," accessed July 3, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
|2014 Palm Springs Unified School District Elections|
|Riverside County, California|
|Election date:||November 4, 2014|
|Candidates:||Trustee Area 3: • Incumbent, Karen Cornett • Anna Nevenic |
Trustee Area 4: • K. Magdalena Andrasevits • Vanessa Sheldon • Noel E. White • James Williamson
Trustee Area 5: • John Gerardi • Eduardo Medina
|Important information:||What was at stake? • Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|
State of California
|Ballot measures by year||
1910 | 1911 | 1912 | 1914 | 1915 | 1916 | 1919 | 1920 | 1922 | 1924 | 1926 | 1928 | 1930 | 1932 | 1933 | 1934 | 1935 | 1936 | 1938 | 1939 | 1940 | 1942 | 1944 | 1946 | 1948 | 1949 | 1950 | 1952 | 1954 | 1956 | 1958 | 1960 | 1962 | 1964 | 1966 | 1968 | 1970 | 1972 | 1973 | 1974 | 1976 | 1978 | 1980 | 1982 | 1984 | 1986 | 1988 | 1990 | 1992 | 1993 | 1994 | 1996 | 1998 | 2000 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2006 (local) | 2008 | 2008 (local) | 2009 | 2009 (local) | 2010 | 2010 (local) | 2011 (local) | 2012 | 2012 (local) | 2014 | 2016 |
|State executive offices||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Controller | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary for Natural Resources | Director of Industrial Relations | President of Public Utilities |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
California school districts A - L |
California school districts M - Z |