|Illinois State Senate District 5|
|March 16, 2011 - 2013|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed||March 16, 2011|
|Illinois House of Representatives|
|1999 - March 2011|
|Bachelor's||Northern Illinois University (1983)|
|Master's||Chicago State University (1985)|
|Birthday||April 28, 1962|
|Place of birth||Chicago, Illinois|
|Profession||Coordinator, Chicago Board of Education|
Collins works as a Coordinator with the Chicago Board of Education. She has previously been an Administrator with the Department of Children and Family Services from 1990-1999, Social Worker with Cook County Social Services from 1987-1990, as a corrections officer, probation officer, and school board administrator.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Collins served on these committees:
- Education Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Environment Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Human Services Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Licensed Activities Committee, Illinois State Senate
- State Government & Veterans Affairs Committee, Illinois State Senate
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Collins served on these committees:
- Human Services
- Judiciary II - Criminal Law (Vice Chair)
- Juvenile Justice Reform (Chair)
- Public Utilities (Chair)
- Renewable Energy
- State Government Administration
- Subcommittee on Constitutionality and Redundancy (Chair)
- Subcommittee on Expansion of Sex Offenses and Sex Offender Registration (Chair)
- Subcommittee on Minority Procurement
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2012
Collins ran for election to the Senate in District 5. Collins lost to Patricia Van Pelt Watkins in the Democratic primary on March 20, 2012. The general election took place on November 6, 2012.
|Illinois State Senate, District 5 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Patricia Van Pelt Watkins||53.5%||10,081|
|Annazette R. Collins Incumbent||46.5%||8,761|
Collins won re-election to the 10th District Seat in 2010 with no opposition. She defeated Jonathan Goldman (2,356 votes), Joseph Sneed (1,253 votes), Eddie Winters(1,191 votes), Keith Muhammad (1,087 votes), and Mable Taylor (578 votes) in the Democratic primary on February 2nd. The general election took place on November 2, 2010.
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 10 (2010)|
|Annazette Collins (D)||19,427||100.0%|
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 10 (2008)|
|Annazette Collins (D)||33,577|
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 10 (2006)|
|Arthur Turner (D)||19,662|
In 2008, Collins collected $110,852 in donations.
Listed below are those that contributed most to her campaign.
|Illinois Federation of Teachers||$6,000|
|Illinois Energy Association||$4,500|
|Illinois Trial Lawyers Association||$4,250|
|Operating Engineers Local 150||$3,750|
|Chicago Teachers Union||$3,000|
|Citizens for Lou Lang||$2,850|
|Jones & Associates||$2,700|
|Illinois Healthcare Association||$2,000|
|Illinois Merchants Association||$1,750|
Illinois Opportunity Project
The Illinois Opportunity Project, "an independent research and public policy enterprise that promotes legislative solutions in advance of free markets and free minds," annually releases its Legislative Vote Card, grading all members in both chambers of the Illinois General Assembly on the basis of their support of "pro-growth economic policies that increase personal freedom and reign in expansive government."
Collins received a score of 0.00 out of 100 in 2012 for a grade of F according to the IOP’s grading scale. Her score was tied for the lowest among all 59 members of the Illinois State Senate included in the Vote Card.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Annazette + Collins + Illinois + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Collins and her husband, Keith, have two children.
- Illinois General Assembly - Representative Annazette Collins (D) 10th District
- Illinois House Democrats - Annazette Collins
- Illinois Senate Democratic Caucus - Annazette Collins
- Social media:
- Summary, biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- Profile at Wikipedia
- Campaign contributions at Follow The Money
- Collins' campaign facebook
- ABC 7, "Dems choose Ricky Hendon's replacement," March 14, 2011
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Collins
- [http://www.elections.il.gov/ElectionInformation/VoteTotalsList.aspx?ElectionType=GP&ElectionID=32&SearchType=OfficeSearch&OfficeID=5794&QueryType=Office& Illinois State Board of Elections, "Ballots Cast GENERAL PRIMARY - 3/20/2012 5TH SENATE," retrieved May 15, 2012.
- Illinois State Board of Elections "Candidate List," December 5, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results"
- Illinois Official 2010 General Election Results
- Illinois House of Representatives official election results for 2008
- Illinois House of Representatives official election results for 2006
- Collins Campaign Donors
- Illinois Opportunity Project, "The Project," accessed February 21, 2013
- Illinois Opportunity Project, Legislative Vote Card home page, accessed February 21, 2013
|Illinois House of Representatives District 10
| Succeeded by|
Derrick Smith (D)
Rickey Hendon (D)
|Illinois Senate District 5
| Succeeded by|
Patricia Van Pelt Watkins (D)