Antelope Valley Union High School District elections (2013)
|General Election date:|
Method of election
What was at stake?
Antelope Valley Union High School District
Los Angeles County, California ballot measures
Local ballot measures, California
Three seats on the School Board for Antelope Valley Union High School District were up for district wide elections to be held on November 5, 2013. R. Michael Dutton, Dana F. Coleman and Barbara Willibrand defeated three candidates for three at-large seats.
About the district
Lancaster underperforms the rest of California when measured on the basis of median household income, percentage of residents living below the poverty level, and percentage of residents over the age of 25 with a Bachelor's degree. It has the same percentage of residents over the age of 25 with a high school diploma as the rest of the state of California. The median household income in Lancaster was $52,290 compared to $61,632 for the state of California. 16.5% of Lancaster residents aged 25 years and older attained a bachelor's degree compared to 30.2% in California. The US Census also showed the poverty rate in Lancaster was 20.2% compared to 14.4% for the entire state. The US Census also found that 80.8% of Lancaster residents aged 25 years and older attained a high school degree compared to a 80.8% in California.
Method of board member selection
Antelope Valley Union High School District School Board consists of five members, all of whom are elected to four year terms. All board members represent the district at large. Board member terms are staggered so that at least two members, but no more than three are to be elected each odd numbered year on the first Tuesday after the first Monday of November. There are no primary elections. Three seats were up for election on November 5, 2013. The three remaining seats are up for election on November 3, 2015.
- John Hutak
- School safety consultant
- Dana F. Coleman
- High School Teacher
- James T. "Jim" Lott
- Incumbent school board member
- R. Michael Dutton
- Retired School Principal
- Barbara Willibrand
- Incumbent school board member
- Paul O. Scott
- Teacher Representative
On November 5, 2013, Robert Michael Dutton, Sr., Dana F. Coleman and Barbara Willibrand defeated three challenging candidates for three seats on the Antelope Valley Union High School District Board of Education.
|Antelope Valley Union High School District Board of Education, General Election, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Robert Michael Dutton, Sr.||19.5%||9,140|
|Nonpartisan||Dana F. Coleman||19.3%||9,081|
|Nonpartisan||James T. "Jim" Lott||16.8%||7,876|
|Nonpartisan||Paul O. Scott||14.1%||6,635|
|Source: Los Angeles County Clerk, "NOVEMBER 5, 2013 - LOCAL & MUNI CONSOLIDATED ELECTION Final Official Election Returns" Accessed December 13, 2013|
No contributions or expenditures were reported during the election, according to the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk.
On November 8, 2011 two seats for the Antelope Valley Union High School District Board of Trustees were up for election. Candidates Jill McGrady and Donita J. Winn defeated two challenging candidates.
|Antelope Valley Union High School District Board of Education, General Election, 2011|
|Nonpartisan||Donita J. Winn||28%||8,230|
|Nonpartisan||Kermit F. Franklin||23.2%||6,809|
|Nonpartisan||Emmett Britney Murrell||11.4%||3,351|
|Source: Smart Voter.org, "Governing Board Member; Antelope Valley Union High School District Voter Information" Accessed August 29, 2013|
The following dates were key deadlines for the Antelope Valley Union High School District election in 2013:
|July 15, 2013||First day to file a petition of candidacy|
|August 9, 2013||Close of filing period for petition of candidacy|
|October 21, 2013||Last day to register to vote in school election|
|October 29, 2013||Final day to apply to vote by mail|
|November 5, 2013||Election Day|
What was at stake?
Three At Large seats were up for election on November 5, 2013.
Underperforming charter school
In 2011, the California Charter School Association (CCSA) recommended ten charter schools not have their charters renewed by their individual school districts. The Los Angeles County Online High School under the authorization of Antelope Valley Union High School District was included in this list. In order to meet the CCSA's Minimum Criteria for Renewal a charter school must have been in operation for a minimum of four years and meet on of the following:
- Academic Performance Index (API) score of at least 700 in most recent year
- 3-year cumulative API growth of at least 50 points (2010-11 growth + 2009-10 growth + 2008-09 growth)
- Within range of or exceeding predicted performance based on similar student populations statewide, for at least two out of the last three years, based on CCSA's metric, the Similar Students Measure.
Despite these recommendations, the Los Angeles County Online High School remains in operation.
Additional elections on the ballot
The ballot for the November 5, 2013 election is Los Angeles county also held elections for local and municipal positions. November 5, 2013 was the date for many concurrent general municipal elections and contained elections for City Clerk, City Treasurer, Mayor, and City Council.
- Antelope Valley Union High School District, California
- List of school board elections in 2013
- Los Angeles County, California ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, California
- US Census Bureau "Lancaster, California Quick Facts" Accessed August 29, 2013
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- US Census Bureau "Baldwin Park, California Quick Facts" Accessed August 23, 2013
- Gamut Online "Antelope Valley: Governing Board Elections" Accessed August 29, 2013
- [http://www.lavote.net/voter/PDFS/CALENDAR_EVENTS/11052013.pdf LA Votes "TENTATIVE CALENDAR OF EVENTS " Accessed August 29, 2013
- California Charter School Association "CCSA Calls for the Non-Renewal of 10 Charter Schools as a Result of Academic Underperformance" Accessed August 29, 2013
- LA Vote "FINAL LIST OF QUALIFIED CANDIDATES TO APPEAR ON THE BALLOT" Accessed August 29, 2013