Antonio "Tony" Favela
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 77|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|High school||Fenwick High School|
|J.D.||John Marshall Law School|
Favela earned his bachelor's degree in International Studies from DePaul University and his J.D. from John Marshall Law School in 2014. His professional experience includes interning at both the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit in DuPage County, as well as the John Marshall Law School Fair Housing Legal Clinic.
Favela's campaign website highlights the following issues:
Fixing the economy
- Excerpt: "Tony will prioritize streamlining services: Illinois has more government entities than any other state in the country. Many of these units of government are relics of the past or offer duplicate services. By consolidating them in a prudent and transparent manner, we will save the taxpayers both time and money."
- Excerpt: "Tony will work with small and medium sized businesses to foster the growth of these businesses through incubators or small business development centers."
- Excerpt: "Tony believes that investing in rebuilding our roads and infrastructure will not only put Illinois to work, but also boost our economy."
- Excerpt: "Tony favors lowering corporate taxes but will also work to put an end to corporate loopholes, which account for millions of dollars in lost revenue, and require corporations to pay their fair share."
- Excerpt: "Tony will fight for a fair income tax that will ease the tax burden on the majority of working class families in Illinois by more fairly spreading the tax responsibility around."
- Excerpt: "Tony will oppose raising property taxes."
- Excerpt: "Tony is a proponent of relying less on property taxes and placing a greater emphasis on funding education at the state level."
- Excerpt: "Tony will push for a greater focus on science, technology, engineering and mathematics in the classroom."
- Excerpt: "Tony believes that before considering the expansion of charter schools, we should work to ensure that there is greater accountability and transparency in the use of public funds to build private charter schools."
Government ethics and accountability
- Excerpt: "The majority of legislative races in Illinois go uncontested every election cycle. Too often politicians become entrenched and forget about the people they are supposed to represent. Illinois voters need a choice."
- Excerpt: "Tony supports the idea that democracy in Illinois can only benefit from legislative districts that are drawn by an independent non-partisan commission."
- Excerpt: "Tony will advocate placing campaign contribution limits on the amount of money party leaders can give candidates during an election."
Elections for the office of Illinois House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place March 18, 2014. The general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was December 2, 2013. Incumbent Kathleen Willis defeated Antonio "Tony" Favela in the Democratic primary and is unchallenged in the general election.
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 77 Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Kathleen Willis Incumbent||77.6%||3,272|
|Antonio "Tony" Favela||22.4%||946|
In 2014, Favela's endorsements include the following:
- The Illinois Federation of Teachers
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Antonio + Favela + Illinois + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website, "About," accessed February 19, 2014
- Official campaign website, "Issues," accessed February 19, 2014
- Illinois Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Illinois Board of Elections, "General Primary Election Official Canvass," April 18, 2014
- Illinois Secretary of State, "Official general election candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- thevillagefreepress.org, "Press Release: Illinois Federation of Teachers (IFT) Endorses Antonio “Tony” Favela, Candidate For State Representative (77th District)," accessed February 19, 2014
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |