Appleton Area School District elections (2014)
|General Election date:|
Method of election
Appleton Area School District
Outagamie County, Wisconsin ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Wisconsin
Three seats on the Appleton Board of Education were up for general election on April 1, 2014. Incumbents Diane Barkmeier and Sharon Fenlon along with challenger Barry O'Connor defeated John DeVantier. Fenlon has served on the board since 1987 and Barkmeier was first elected to the board in 1996.
About the district
- See also: Appleton Area School District, Wisconsin
Appleton outperformed the rest of Wisconsin in terms of higher education achievement in 2010. The United States Census Bureau found that 31.2 percent of Appleton residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.4 percent for Wisconsin as a whole. The median household income in Appleton was $52,605 compared to $52,627 for the state of Wisconsin. The poverty rate in Appleton was 10.5 percent compared to 12.5 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
Method of board member selection
The Appleton Board of Education consists of seven members elected at-large to three-year terms. There was no primary election and the general election was held on April 1, 2014. Two seats will be up for election in 2015 and another two seats will be on the ballot in 2016.
Candidates for the Board of Education must be 18 years old, citizens of the United States and residents of the district at least 10 days before the election. Each candidate submitted at least 100 valid signatures to the Outagamie County Clerk by January 7, 2014.
- Diane Barkmeier
- Graduate, St. Mary's College
- John DeVantier
- Customer services director, Oracle
- Sharon Fenlon
- Retired educator
- Barry O'Connor
- Graduate, University of Wisconsin-Madison and University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh
- Retired educator
|Appleton Area School District, At-large General Election, 3-year term, April 1, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Sharon Fenlon Incumbent||27.3%||4,183|
|Nonpartisan||Diane Barkmeier Incumbent||27.2%||4,172|
|Source: Information submitted to Ballotpedia through e-mail from Kimm Smith on May 12, 2014.|
No candidate received an official endorsement in this election.
Candidates received a total of $1,125.00 and spent a total of $609.93 by the March 25 pre-election reporting deadline, according to the school board secretary. State law allows candidates to claim exempt status from campaign finance reporting if contributions and expenditures do not exceed $1,000 during a calendar year.
|Candidate||Contributions||Expenditures||Cash on hand|
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
|December 1, 2013||First day to circulate nominating petitions|
|January 7, 2014||Last day to submit nominating petitions to county clerk|
|March 24, 2014||Last day to file pre-election campaign finance report|
|April 1, 2014||Election day|
|July 21, 2014||Last day to file continuing campaign finance report|
Additional elections on the ballot
The Board of Education election shared the ballot with other local and county elections. Residents of Appleton voted for three members of the City Council. Outagamie County elections on April 1 included two seats on the Wisconsin Circuit Court and 36 county supervisor positions.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Appleton + Area + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- School board elections in Alaska and Wisconsin spark debates over budgets, academic performance
- Incumbents dominate school board elections in Alaska, Wisconsin
- Appleton Area School District, Wisconsin
- Wisconsin school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Outagamie County, Wisconsin ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Wisconsin
- Appleton Post-Crescent, "Diane Barkmeier, Sharon Fenlon, Spencer Rotzel and John Gosling vie for three Appleton school board seats," March 31, 2011
- United States Census Bureau, "Appleton, Wisconsin," accessed January 27, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed January 27, 2014
- Outagamie County Elections, "Elections Information," accessed January 27, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Appleton Area School District, "About the Board," accessed January 27, 2014
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Ballot Access Checklist," accessed January 24, 2014
- Information submitted to Ballotpedia through e-mail from Kimm Smith on March 26, 2014.
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Campaign Finance Overview: Local Candidates," May 2010
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Campaign Finance Checklist," accessed January 24, 2014
- Outagamie County Elections, "2014 Election Dates," accessed January 24, 2014
|2014 Appleton Area School District Elections|
|Election date:||April 1, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: • Diane Barkmeier • John DeVantier • Sharon Fenlon • Barry O'Connor|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|