Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Illinois State Senate District 29|
|High school||Highland Park|
|Bachelor's||University of Chicago, Biology|
|M.D.||University Of Illinois College of Medicine (1998)|
|Service/branch||United States Navy|
|Years of service||1987 – 2004|
Friedman is a pediatrician and Managing Partner of Premier Pediatrics, S.C. He earned his MD from the University of Illinois College of Medicine in 1998. Friedman served in the United States Navy from 1987 to 2004.
On his campaign website Friedman details his positions on three issues - Jobs and the Economy and Healthcare. Here are excerpts:
- Jobs and the Economy: "Arie will vote to repeal the state income tax hikes and will offer his expertise in reforming the state’s workers’ compensation and civil litigation systems, as well as restraining the costs of the Medicaid system. Because Medicaid is such a large expenditure for the state, Arie’s familiarity with medical procedures and practices will give the legislature a more informed perspective on which costs can – or cannot – be reduced when it comes to providing health care to those in need."
- Healthcare: "Arie knows the Medicaid system needs to be revamped for more accountable, effective delivery of service to our state’s indigent population at lower costs to taxpayers. As the largest contributor to the state’s budget deficit, Medicaid – as the state currently manages it – represents an unsustainable drain on taxpayers. Arie supports reforming Medicaid to limit the rate of growth in the program’s expenditures."
- Pension Crisis: "The greatest threat to our state’s fiscal solvency is our worsening pension gap. One of the tragic aspects of this situation is the fact that public pension system participants are some of the pillars of our society including police, firefighters, and teachers. We have a responsibility to these hard working public employees as well as the rest of our fellow citizens to resolve this situation in a manner that respects everyone’s best possible interests. If we do not address the current pension system shortfalls, by 2045 almost 50% of all personal, corporate, and sales taxes will go exclusively towards keeping up with the pension obligations of the state. This will result in a completely unacceptable crowding out of essential services such as education, health care, and disability services (in which Illinois already ranks 51st in the country lagging behind even Puerto Rico). As such, Arie is a supporter of SB512, the Senate Republican Plan to bring pension costs back into line while still respecting the needs of those who have chosen a career in public service."
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2012
Friedman ran in the 2012 election for Illinois State Senate District 29. Friedman was unopposed in the Republican primary on March 20, 2012 and was defeated by Julie Morrison (D) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Illinois State Senate, District 29, General Election, 2012|
Friedman and his wife Michelle live in Highland Park, Illinois. They have five children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Arie + Friedman + Illinois + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Arie Friedman for State Senate Facebook page
- Arie Friedman on LinkedIn
- Arie Friedman on Twitter
- Arie Friedman on YouTube
- LinkedIn, "Arie Friedman, MD," accessed January 4, 2012
- Friedman for Senate, "Issues," accessed January 4, 2012
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Candidate List," accessed December 5, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results," accessed May 14, 2014
- Illinois State Board of Elections, “Official Vote - November 6, 2012 General Election,” accessed December 31, 2012
- Friedman for Senate, "About," accessed January 4, 2012