Arizona City Fire District Board of Directors recall, Arizona (2014)
An effort to recall three members of the Arizona City Fire District Board of Directors from their positions was launched in October 2013. The effort was launched by Ed Hill and John Trainor. Targeted members include: William Bailey, Chairman Betty Harding and James Leary.
The recall effort was launched following a 3 to 2 vote to remove Paul Sabel as fire chief. The three board members that voted in favor of removing Sabel were targeted in the recall. Ultimately, supporters did not collect enough valid signatures, so the recall effort did not go to a vote.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in Arizona
Recall supporters had a total of 120 days to collect a minimum of 440 signatures for each of the board members, a total of 1,320 for all three targeted members.
Under the law, even if sufficient signatures had been collected to trigger an election, candidates could also have filed to run for office. State law requires that such elections take place at the next consolidated election, which in this case would have been August 26, 2014. Had the recall effort succeeded, the recalled board members would have been required to run again before their terms expired.
Supporters of the recall turned in signatures by the February 20, 2014, deadline, claiming they had more than the required number to trigger the recall vote. Had enough valid signatures been validated, a recall election would have been held on August 26, 2014.
- Arizona City Independent, "Fire board recall efforts continue," November 27, 2013
- Arizona City Independent, "Attempt to recall starts after chief is dismissed," October 23, 2013
- Rose Law Group Reporter, "Attempt to recall starts after fire chief dismissed," October 19, 2013
- Arizona City Independent, "February 19, 2014
- Arizona City Independent, "Fire Board recall effort underway," October 30, 2013
State of Arizona
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Commissioner of Lands | Director of Labor | Chairman of Corporation Commission | State Mine Inspector |