Arizona down ballot state executive elections, 2014
August 26, 2014
November 4, 2014
Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General
Mine Inspector, Treasurer, Superintendent, Corporation Commissioner
Arizona has a closed primary system, in which the selection of a party's candidates in a primary election is limited to registered members of that party.
|Office||Incumbent||Assumed Office||Incumbent running?|
|Mine Inspector||Joe Hart
||2011||No, running for governor|
|Superintendent of Public Instruction||John Huppenthal
|Corporation Commission||Gary Pierce
||2007||Ineligible due to term limits|
|Corporation Commission||Brenda Burns
- Jeff DeWit - Businessman and Republican activist
- Martin Sepulveda - Ex-Chandler City Councilman, 2012 U.S. House candidate
- Hugh Hallman - Former two term Mayor of Tempe
- David Garcia - Professor, former State Associate Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Sharon Thomas - Teacher
The superintendent of public instruction oversees and administrates the Arizona Department of Education, which manages the state's public school system. His general duties include managing the employees of the department. Other specific responsibilities enumerated by law include:
- Executing the policies established by the State Board of Education.
- Apportioning state education funds to individual counties each year.
- Distributes school materials, courses of study, administrative information, teachers certificates and other items to individual school districts.
- Audits the accounts of school officials across the state with the assistance of the auditor general.
- Doug Ducey for Governor 2014 Official campaign website, "Homepage," accessed September 1, 2013
- Manuel Cruz for Mine Inspector 2014 Campaign Facebook Page, "Timeline," accessed September 19, 2013
- Jeff DeWitt for Treasurer 2014 Official Campaign Website, "Homepage," accessed September 19, 2013
- Martin Sepulveda for Treasurer 2014 Official Campaign Website, "Homepage," accessed September 19, 2013
- abc15.com, "Hugh Hallman withdraws from Arizona governors race," September 19, 2013
- David Garcia for Superintendent of Public Instruction 2014 Official Campaign Website, "Homepage," accessed September 19, 2013
- Sharon Thomas for Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction 2014 Facebook Campaign page, "Timelime," accessed September 19, 2013
- Arizona Revised Statutes, "Title 15, Article 3 -- Superintendent of Public Instruction," accessed June 7, 2011
State of Arizona
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Commissioner of Lands | Director of Labor | Chairman of Corporation Commission | State Mine Inspector |