Arkansas 2012 ballot measures
- The Arkansas Legislature can only send up to three legislative referrals to the ballot each election year.
- The Arkansas Legislature ended the 2011 state legislative session on March 10, 2011.
- The petition drive deadline for ballot initiatives seeking ballot access in 2012 was July 6, 2012.
- The state signature requirement for initiated constitutional amendments was 78,133 and 62,507 for initiated state statutes.
- When contacted by Ballotpedia, the Secretary of State's office said that three initiatives were filed by the day of the deadline.
- The 2012 state legislative session began on February 13, 2012 and ended on March 13, 2012.
On the ballot
- See also: 2012 ballot measures
The following measures were on the ballot in 2012:
|Issue 1||Taxes||Would place a half-cent sales tax in the state.||
|Issue 2||Taxes||Authorize cities and counties to create districts for redevelopment projects.||
|Issue 3||Gambling||Would allow for casinos in the state.|
|Issue 4||Gambling||Would allow for a casino in seven state counties.|
|CISS||Issue 5||Marijuana||Authorize the use of medical marijuana in the state.||
Not on the ballot
The following measures did not make the ballot:
|Higher Education Board Question||Education||Allow a central body to decide on major policy decisions for universities.|
|Constable Abolishment Amendment||Admin. of gov't||Would abolish the office of constable throughout the state.|
|Lottery Proceeds Amendment||Gambling||35% of proceeds from state lottery to go to scholarships.|
|State Official Merger Question||Admin. of gov't.||Would merge certain state offices and eliminate others.|
|Conservation Tax Amendment||Taxes||Would lower the state conservation tax.|
|CISS||Ethics Laws Initiative||Elections||Would change campaign and ethics laws to ban corporate contributions to campaigns.|
|CISS||Marijuana Study Initiative||Marijuana||Would establish the Cannabis and Hemp Authority.|
|Illegal Immigrant Benefits Ban Amendment||Immigrants||Ban illegal immigrants from receiving benefits in the state.|
|Legislative Tax Abolishment||Taxes||Abolish all taxes levied by the legislature in Arkansas.|
|Personhood Amendment||Abortion||Define person in the constitution as "the moment of fertilization."|
|Tax by Public Vote Amendment||Taxes||Would only allow a tax increase in the state if voters voted on it.|
|Game Commission Selection Amendment||Taxes||Would change the way Game and Fish Commission members are selected.|
|Initiative Requirements Amendment||Initiatives||Would reduce number of voter signatures required to place initiatives on the ballot.|
|CISS||Severance Tax Increase Question||Taxes||Raise the levy on the natural gas exploration companies extract to 7 percent.|
Local ballot measures
- See also: Local ballot measure elections in 2012
No local measures have been identified for 2012. Read about local happenings here.