Arlington Public Schools, Virginia
|Arlington County, Virginia|
|Superintendent:||Dr. Patrick K. Murphy|
|Number of schools:||30|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
About the districtArlington County, Virginia. According to the 2010 U.S. Census, Arlington County is home to 207,627 residents.
In terms of graduation rate, average household income and poverty rate, Arlington County overperformed in these areas by a fairly wide margin. The graduation rate was 92.6% compared to 86.6% statewide. The average household income was $99,651 compared to $63,302 in the entire state. Arlington County had a poverty rate of 7.1%, while the poverty rate for Virginia was 10.7%.
The current superintendent of Arlington Public Schools is Dr. Patrick K. Murphy, who was appointed in July 2009. He attended James Madison University for his bachelor's degree and Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University for both his master's degree and doctorate. Prior to his role at Arlington, he was assistant superintendent at Fairfax County Public Schools.
The Arlington Public School Board is comprised of five at-large members serving staggered four-year terms, beginning January 1st.
|Arlington County School Board|
|Abby Raphael||Board Chair||2015|
|James Lander||Board Vice Chair||2017|
|Sally M. Baird||Member||2014|
School board elections
One seat was up for election on the Arlington Public School Board on November 5, 2013. Board Vice Chair James Lander was re-elected in an unopposed race. One seat will be up for election in both 2014 and 2015, respectively. Two seats will be up for election in 2016.
The Arlington Public Schools' budget is published on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
|Arlington Public Schools Teacher Salary Scale 2013-2014|
|Step||Bachelor's Degree ($)||Bachelor's + 15 ($)||Master's Degree ($)||Master's + 30 ($)||Doctorate ($)|
- There is a four year waiting period for Longevity Steps. Steps do not equate to years of experience.
Schools in Arlington
Arlington Public Schools operates 30 schools listed below in alphabetical order.
|Arlington Public schools|
|Abingdon Elementary School|
|Arlington Science Focus School|
|Arlington Traditional School|
|Ashlawn Elementary School|
|Barcroft Elementary School|
|Barrett Elementary School|
|Campbell Elementary School|
|Carlin Springs School|
|Claremont Immersion School|
|Drew Model Elementary School|
|Francis Scott Key Elementary School|
|Glebe Elementary School|
|Gunston Middle School|
|Henry Elementary School|
|Hoffman-Boston Elementary School|
|Jamestown Elementary School|
|Jefferson Middle School|
|Kenmore Middle School|
|Long Branch Elementary School|
|Mckinley Elementary School|
|Nottingham Elementary School|
|Oakridge Elementary School|
|Randolph Elementary School|
|Swanson Middle School|
|Taylor Elementary School|
|Tuckahoe Elementary School|
|Wakefield High School|
|Washington Lee High School|
|Williamsburg Middle School|
|Yorktown High School|
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
The Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card reports Arlington Public Schools as having a student population of 20,268 and 30 schools in the division.
Arlington Public School Division did not make AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment||Made Adequate Yearly Progress for 2009?|
|Abingdon Elementary||Pre-K - 5||441||Yes|
|Arlington Science Focus School||Pre-K - 5||504||Yes|
|Arlington Traditional||Pre-K - 5||442||Yes|
|Ashlawn Elementary||Pre-K - 5||378||Yes|
|Barcroft Elementary||Pre-K - 5||368||No|
|Barret Elementary||Pre-K - 5||536||No|
|Campbell Elementary||Pre-K - 5||354||Yes|
|Carlin Springs Elementary||Pre-K - 5||579||Yes|
|Claremont Institution||Pre-K - 5||508||Yes|
|Drew Model Elementary||Pre-K - 6||523||No|
|Francis Scott Key Elementary||Pre-K - 5||631||No|
|Glebe Elementary||Pre-K - 5||459||Yes|
|Gunston Middle||6 - 8||669||No|
|Henry Elementary||Pre-K - 5||399||Yes|
|Hoffman-Boston Elementary||Pre-K - 5||355||No|
|Jamestown Elementary||Pre-K - 5||585||Yes|
|Jefferson Middle||6 - 8||611||Yes|
|Kenmore Middle||6 - 8||784||No|
|Long Branch Elementary||Pre-K - 5||509||No|
|McKinley Elementary||Pre-K - 5||436||Yes|
|Nottingham Elementary||Pre-K - 5||548||Yes|
|Oakridge Elementary||Pre-K - 5||561||Yes|
|Randolph Elementary||Pre-K - 5||410||No|
|Swanson Middle||6 - 8||879||No|
|Taylor Elementary||Pre-K - 5||634||Yes|
|Tuckahoe Elementary||Pre-K - 5||582||Yes|
|Wakefield High||9 - 12||1,623||Yes|
|Washington Lee High||9 - 12||2,063||Yes|
|Williamsburg Middle||6 - 8||983||No|
|Yorktown High||9 - 12||1,914||No|
|Transparency grading process|
This website was last evaluated Feb. 6, 2012.
- Budget information, including federal, state, and local revenue information, is available.
- School board meeting information, including minutes and agendas, are posted.
- Contact information available for administrative staff.
- Vendor contract information is available.
- Audits are posted online.
- Section 30: General Administration of the Arlington School Board Policies Manual information regarding Virginia’s Freedom of Information Act.
- Academic performance information is available on the school website. A link is provided to the School Report Cards on the Virginia Department of Education website.
- Evaluation forms for current teachers are present, as are the policies that all employees must submit to a background check.
- Virginia doesn't participate in collective bargaining, but Arlington Public Schools published their pay plan for 2010-2011 for their employees. They've also put the WABE report online, which compares area school districts' salaries, budget, cost per pupil, and class sizes. Teacher salary data is also available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
- There is no direct contact information provided for school board members. Bios of each member are provided as is the telephone number for the school district office, but no individual contact information is available.
- School board elections portal
- Arlington Public Schools elections (2013)
- List of school districts in Virginia
- Arlington Public Schools
- Virginia Department of Education
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virgina
- Virginia Education Association
- United States Census, "Quick Facts: Arlington County," accessed September 18, 2013]
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "Election Results," Accessed September 18, 2013
- Patrick Murphy Resume Accessed September 18, 2013
- 'Arlington Public Schools', About the School Board Accessed September 18, 2013,
- Arlington Public Schools, "School Board's Adopted Budget," accessed November 29, 2013
- 2013-2014 Arlington Public Schools Teacher Salary Scale" Accessed September 18, 2013
- Our Schools Accessed September 17, 2013
- 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Arlington Public Schools, June 11, 2010
- Budget, 2/3/11
- Meetings and Agendas, 2/3/11
- School and Community Relations, 2/3/11
- Contracts, 2/3/11
- School Board Policies, 2/3/11
- FOIA Requests
- Adequate Yearly Progress, 2/3/11
- Professional Development, 2/3/11
- Pay Plan
- WABE reports
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Education Workforce Data & Reports, June 10, 2010
- School Board Members