Arlington Public Schools elections (2013)
|General Election date:|
Method of election
What was at stake?
Arlington Public Schools
Arlington County, Virginia ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Virginia
About the district
- See also: Arlington Public Schools, Virginia
In terms of graduation rate, average household income and poverty rate, Arlington County overperformed in these areas by a fairly wide margin. The graduation rate was 92.6% compared to 86.6% statewide. The average household income was $99,651 compared to $63,302 in the entire state. Arlington County had a poverty rate of 7.1%, while the poverty rate for Virginia was 10.7%.
Method of board member selection
The Arlington Public School Board is comprised of five at-large members that serve staggered four-year terms, which begin January 1st. APS did not hold a primary election and the general election was held on November 5, 2013. The board is officially non-partisan, though there is a history of candidates being endorsed by parties.
James Lander is an incumbent on the Arlington Public School Board where he also serves as Board Vice Chair. His seat was the only one up for election on November 5, 2013, and he ran unopposed.
|Arlington Public Schools, At-Large, 4-year term, 2013|
|Independent||James Lander Incumbent||96.1%||51,945|
|Source: Arlington County, Virginia, "November 2013 General Election Official Results," accessed December 12, 2013|
In May 2013, Lander won the endorsement of the Arlington County Democratic Party, beating out Barbara Kanninen, by 47 votes in a two-day caucus.
Lander reported $12,423.30 in contributions and $10,513.02 in expenditures to the Virginia State Board of Elections, which left his campaign with $1,910.28 on hand.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
What's at stake?
One seat was up for election on the Arlington Public School board, which was an unopposed race.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Arlington Public School Board election in 2013:
|June 11, 2013||Last day to file nominating petitions|
|October 15, 2013||Last day to register to vote|
|November 5, 2013||Election day|
Additional elections on the ballot
This election shared the ballot with other municipal and school board elections, as well as the statewide offices for governor, lieutenant governor and attorney general.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Arlington + Public + Schools + Virginia"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Arlington Public Schools
- List of school board elections in 2013
- Arlington County, Virginia ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Virginia
- Quick Facts Accessed September 18, 2013]
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "Election Results," Accessed September 18, 2013
- The Washington Post Incumbent James Lander wins Democratic endorsement for Arlington School Board, accessed October 2, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections Campaign Finance Reports, accessed December 19, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections November 5, 2013 Elections Candidacy Requirements For Local Offices, accessed August 8, 2013