Article XI, Delaware Constitution
|I • II • III • IV • V • VI • VII • VIII • IX • X • XI • XII • XIII • XIV • XV • XVI • XVII • Schedule • Closing|
| Text of Section 1:
State Board of Agriculture
There shall be a department established and maintained, known as the State Board of Agriculture.
| Text of Section 2:
Composition of Board; Residence of Commissioners; Quorum
The said board shall be composed of three Commissioners of Agriculture, one of whom shall reside in each county in the State. Any two of them shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.
| Text of Section 3:
Appointment of Commissioners by Governor; Tenure; Vacancies
The said Commissioners of Agriculture shall be appointed by the Governor, by and with the consent of a majority of all the members elected to the Senate, one for the term of one year, one for the term of two years, and one for the term of three years; and thereafter all appointments of Commissioners of Agriculture shall be made as aforesaid for the term of three years, and they shall hold office until their successors are duly qualified; provided, that any vacancy occurring in the office of Commissioner of Agriculture before the expiration of a term shall be filled by appointment as aforesaid for the remainder of the term; and provided further, that in case such vacancy shall occur when the Senate is not in session, such vacancy may be filled by the Governor without confirmation by the Senate until the end of the next session of the Senate.
| Text of Section 4:
Abatement and Prevention of Diseases of Fruit Trees, Plants, Vegetables, Cereals, and Live Stock
The said board shall have power to abate and prevent, by such means as the General Assembly shall prescribe, all contagious and infectious diseases of fruit trees, plants, vegetables, cereals, horses, cattle and other farm animals.
| Text of Section 5:
Plans for Securing Immigration of Industrious and Useful Settlers
The said Commissioners may devise such plans for securing immigration to this State of industrious and useful settlers as they may deem expedient, and such plans may be executed as prescribed by the General Assembly.
| Text of Section 6:
Compensation of Board Members
The General Assembly shall provide by law for the compensation of the members of said board.
| Text of Section 7:
Duration of Board
The Board of Agriculture hereby established shall continue for eight years from the date of the qualification of the first member thereof, after which it may be abolished by the General Assembly.
- State constitution
- Constitutional article
- Constitutional amendment
- Constitutional revision
- Constitutional convention
- Current Delaware Constitution
- Delaware Constitution of 1897 (timed out)
- Delaware Constitution of 1776
- Delaware Constitution of 1792
- Delaware Constitution of 1831
- Hoffecker, Carol E. (2004). Democracy in Delaware, Wilmington, Delaware: Cedar Tree Books
- Holland, Randy J.(2002). The Delaware State Constitution: A Reference Guide, Westport, Connecticut: Westport Press
- Martin, Roger A. (1984). A History of Delaware Through its Governors, Wilmington, Delaware: McClafferty Press
- Munroe, John A. (1993). History of Delaware, University of Delaware Press
- Scharf, John Thomas. (1888). History of Delaware 1609-1888, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: L. J. Richards & Co