Atlanta Tax Protest 2009
- Time: April 15, 7:00pm - 10:00pm
- Location: Georgia State Capitol Building ~ Downtown Atlanta,
- Street: 206 Washington St SW
- City/Town: Atlanta, GA
This event was part of a national movement referred to as the Chicago Tea Party. The series of protests began in Seattle, Washington on February 16, 2009, later gaining momentum on Thursday, February 19, when Rick Santelli in an on-air segment on CNBC Business Newslive called for a "Chicago Tea Party." Santelli's remarks became known as the "Rant Heard 'Round the World."
Organizers sprang up in many different quarters of the fiscally conservative movement online and include Top Conservatives on Twitter, Smart Girl Politics, Don't Go, Americans for Tax Reform, the Heartland Institute, American Spectator Magazine, the New American Tea Party and many others.
Approximately 300 protesters participated in the event, many prepared with tea bags.
Opposed to the $6 billion Georgia stands to receive from federal funds, protesters handed out One Trillion dollar bills with the faces of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to express their distaste with the Democratic leaders' fiscal policy.
Insurance Commissioner John Oxendine, Rep. Austin Scott, and Majority Leader Chip Rogers spoke at the event. Rogers said of socialists "Let’s go after them."
- Atlanta Tax Protest
- Facebook Group for Atlanta tax protest
- Atlanta Tax Protest Group on Meet-Up (dead link)
- Atlanta joins the party!
- Michelle Malkin, "The Tea Party Grows," February 21, 2009
- Street Insider, "Rick Santelli - The Rant Heard 'Round the World,'" February 19, 2009
- TCOT and online Conservatives Launch Nationwide Chicago Tea Party Friday February 27 at noon
- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, "The Atlanta Journal-Constitution," February 28, 2009 (dead link)
Chicago Tea Party and Tax Day Tea Party
Asheville, NC | Atlanta, GA | Fayetteville, AR | Ft. Myers, FL | Gainesville, FL | Greenville, SC | Jackson, MS | Jacksonville, Florida | Lafayette, LA | Little Rock, AR | Nashville | Orlando | Sarasota, FL | Shelby County, AL | Tampa, FL |