|State Executive Offices|
| Governor • Lt. Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Schools • Insurance Commissioner • Controller • Agriculture Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Services Commissioner|
|Elections by Year|
|2014 • 2013 • 2012 • 2011 • 2010|
The chart below is a breakdown of the political parties pertaining to the state executive office of attorney general. For other state executive offices, click here.
|Counts current as of December 2013. If you see an error, please email us|
List of Current Attorneys General
Elected vs. Appointed
Attorneys general are chosen in four different ways; they are either popularly elected or appointed by the governor, the state legislature, or the state supreme court. The office is elective in 43 states and chosen by a state government organ in 6.
|Quick facts about Attorneys General|
- Main article: State executive official elections, 2014
Thirty states will hold regularly scheduled attorney general elections in the 2014 electoral cycle:
- Main article: State executive official elections, 2013
One state, Virginia, held a regularly scheduled attorney general election in 2013.
Heading into the November election, the Democrats held 6 of the seats and the Republicans held 4 seats. Five incumbents sought, and won, re-election, and the status breakdown of the remaining seats was as follows:
- Two - Montana AG Steve Bullock (D) and Washington AG Rob McKenna (R) - ran for the governorship in their respective states in 2012.
- One - Utah AG Mark Shurtleff (R) - retired from office.
- One - 2011 appointee Pennsylvania AG Linda Kelly (R) - did not run for election due to the terms of her Senate confirmation.
- One - Oregon AG John Kroger (D) - resigned six months ahead of schedule to take a new job as President of Reed College in Portland. Gov. John Kitzhaber appointed Ellen Rosenblum, who was running for 2012 election to the attorney general post at the time, to serve as interim attorney general for the remainder of his unexpired term. Rosenblum was elected to a full term in the November 6, 2012 general election.
Democrats won 6 of the 2012 races while Republicans took 4, thus the partisan balance remained unchanged.
- Main article: Attorney General elections, 2011
| State Attorney General 2011 elections|
| Kentucky • Louisiana • Mississippi
|2011 Election information|
| Primary election dates|
Statewide elections, 2011
|Attorney General news headlines|
Incumbents were re-elected in all three states. Democratic incumbents Jack Conway (KY) and Jim Hood (MS) successfully defended their posts against Republican challengers Todd P’Pool and Steve Simpson, respectively. The Attorney General of Louisiana election was decided even before the October 22, 2011 primary election. Incumbent Republican Buddy Caldwell was unopposed in the race after his sole challenger, former U.S. Representative Joseph Cao withdrew from the race in late September 2011, and  the office of attorney general did not appear on the ballot.
- Main article: Attorney General elections, 2010
Thirty attorney general elections were held on November 2, 2010. Of the 30 seats that were up for election, 20 were held by a Democrat and 10 by a Republican. Of those 30 races, 16 were won by Republicans and 14 by Democrats- a net gain of 6 by Republicans over their pre-election total.
|Partisan breakdown of State Attorneys General|
|Party||Before November 2010 election||After November 2010 election|
|With 2010 elections||Unelected AGs||Total AGs||Post 2010 elections||Unelected AGs||Total AGs||Gain/loss legislators|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Attorney + General + State - Holder
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- New York Attorney General Pressures Wireless Carriers For Rejecting Phone ... - Huffington Post
- TN attorney general says local meth laws illegal - WBIR-TV
- Google Slammed by Mississippi Attorney General for ?Inaction? on Piracy - Variety
- Missouri attorney general appeals stay of execution - STLtoday.com
- McDonnell downplays possibility of contest in attorney general race - Roanoke Times
- Attorney General Suing Former State Vendor - WICS-TV
- Political groups call for Gov. Gary Herbert to appoint interim attorney general - Deseret News
- W.Va. attorney general talks gas prices, drug abuse, health care with local ... - Herald-Mail Media
- Colorado Attorney General sues debt collection companies - Denver Post
- Morgan testing waters for AG run -- not John, his son Mike - Orlando Sentinel (blog)
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- State executive offices
- State executive official elections, 2012
- State executive official elections, 2013
- State executive official elections, 2014
- National Association of Attorneys General
- Democratic Attorneys General Association
- Republican Attorneys General Association