|Former candidate for|
|Board member, Sioux City Community School District|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||September 10, 2013|
Augie Baughman was a candidate for a seat on the Sioux City Community school board in September 10, 2013 election.
Audie Baughman is an Engineering Manager for Merck-Organon API. He has served for six years of the District Advisory Committee.
|Sioux City Community School District, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Source: Woodbury County Auditor, "2013 School Election," September 12, 2013|
What was at stake?
Three seats were up for election on September 10, 2013. The board will continue to pursue its legislative action priority, which includes support of state funding of school board activities through property tax equities, equal standards between charter schools and other schools in the district, and reaffirming local control of the school board.
About the district
Sioux City underperforms in educational achievement compared to the rest of the state and median household income. According to the 2010 Census, the percentage of residents with a high school degree (83.4%) is lower than the number for Iowa (90.3%). The percentage of residents over 25 with a bachelor's degree or higher is also lower in Sioux City (19.8%) compared to the state overall (24.9%). The median household income in Sioux City is $43,158 compared to Iowa's median of $50,451.
- Sioux City Journal, "AUDIE BAUGHMAN: Here's why you should vote for me," accessed September 9, 2013
- Sioux City Journal, "Six candidates to vie for three Sioux City school board seats" accessed August 5, 2013
- Sioux City Community Schools, "2012-2013 IASB LEGISLATIVE ACTION PRIORITIES, SIOUX CITY COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT BOARD OF DIRECTORS," accessed July 31, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Sioux City," accessed July 30, 2013 (dead link)
- New York Times, "Election Results," accessed July 31, 2013