Aurora City Recreation Center Levy Addition (November 2011)
This measure was defeated
- YES 688 (23.64%)
- NO 2,222 (76.36%)
This measure sought to add to the current city property tax and would pay for three new recreation centers in the city as well as remodel the current recreation building. On average, the levy would have cost $64.80 a year in additional taxes for homes assessed at $200,000.
Support for this measure had come from a wide variety of people including state lawmakers, county commissioners and city council members past and present. A group of around 30 members had put their weight behind this measures, hoping to get residents to approve the additional tax. Proponents noted that the new centers would allow the city to have updated centers which would be able to provide services to the larger city population. Also would have allowed for youth programs and services which were not currently offered. The main group behind this measure, Aurora Residents for Recreation had been working since 2008 to get this measure on the city ballot.
Text of measure
The question on the ballot:
|SHALL AURORA’S DEBT BE INCREASED NOT TO EXCEED $113,524,000 WITH A REPAYMENT COST NOT TO EXCEED $197,950,800 (PRINCIPAL AND INTEREST), AND SHALL AURORA’S TAXES BE INCREASED NOT TO EXCEED $9,897,540 ANNUALLY TO PAY THE PRINCIPAL AND INTEREST ON THE DEBT TO PROVIDE FOR A NEW SYSTEM OF COMMUNITY RECREATION CENTERS BY AMENDING THE CITY CHARTER TO PERMIT THE ISSUANCE OF GENERAL OBLIGATION BONDS, TO BE PAID THROUGH PROPERTY TAXES, IN A SUFFICIENT RATE AND AMOUNT TO PAY SUCH BONDS OR ANY REFUNDINGS, THE PROCEEDS OF WHICH BONDS, INCLUDING EARNINGS, SHALL BE USED TO PAY FOR CONSTRUCTING, INSTALLING, AND EQUIPPING.|
- Adams County Elections, Unofficial November Election Results
- The Denver Post, "City Council in Aurora drops two property-tax extensions from ballot," August 8, 2011
- The Denver Post, "Aurora recreation center ballot issue gets endorsements," August 17, 2011
- Aurora Sentinel, "ELECTION 2011: A closer look at Aurora's 301," October 12, 2011
- Arapahoe County Elections, November Sample Ballot
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.