|Texas House of Representatives, District 131|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|High school||Westside High School|
|J.D.||Texas Southern University|
After graduating from Westside High School, Okorafor attended Texas Tech University where he earned his B.S. While in college, he pursued his interest in politics by joining Tech Student Democrats. He then attended Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law and earned his J.D. Okorafor served as editor-and-chief of the Gender, Race, and Justice Law Journal. He also earned Dean's List honors.
Upon graduation from law school, Okorafor worked as a civil rights attorney. His professional experience also includes working as a Equal Employment Opportunity Consultant.
Okorafor highlighted the following issues on his campaign website:
Education: "Phasing out standardized testing and establishing authentic performance assessments."
Economy: "Broadening the scope of the State of Texas tax refund for employers who hire underprivileged groups. Reducing the expansion of toll roads."
Environment: "Expanding the inner city park and bike trials program into the District. Utilizing eminent domain to preserve the safety and beauty of the District. Increasing police patrol in multi family apartment homes across the District to reduce crime."
- Excerpts from candidates' websites may contain spelling and grammatical errors
Elections for the office of Texas House of Representatives will consist of a primary election on March 4, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was December 9, 2013. Incumbent Alma Allen defeated Azuwuike Okorafor in the Democratic primary and is unchallenged in the general election.
Okorafor and his wife, Crystal, live in Houston, Texas.
- Thurgood Marshall School of Law Gender, Race and Justice Law Journal, "I need a dollar: Employment discrimination against ex-offenders in the United States"
- Okorafor for Texas: "About," accessed December 29, 2013
- Information submitted on Ballotpedia’s biographical information submission form on December 28, 2013
- Okorafor for Texas: "Issues," accessed December 29, 2013
- Texas Secretary of State, "2014 March Primary Election Candidate Filings by County", accessed March 4, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "2014 Democratic Party Primary Election," accessed April 9, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "2014 Republican Party Primary Election," accessed April 9, 2014
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
Texas school districts A - L |
Texas school districts M - Z |