Ballot initiatives filed for the 2013 ballot
This page does count:
- Ballot initiatives and veto measures that have been filed.
- Initiatives that were withdrawn or abandoned after they were filed.
- Initiatives that failed to qualify for the ballot because they missed a petition drive deadline.
- Initiatives that were filed in states with a rolling petition deadline that might still qualify for the 2014 ballot or 2015 ballot.
- Multiple versions of what appears to basically be the same initiative.
- Initiatives that have already qualified for a 2013 ballot.
This page does not count:
- Ballot measures proposed by a state legislature.
- Initiatives that groups have said they are going to file, but have not actually filed.
- States that do not allow initiatives to be placed on odd-number year ballots - explained in detail below.
Odd-numbered election years
Only a few states typically allow initiatives to appear on odd-numbered year ballots. States not listed in the chart below include:
Initiative tracking chart
|State||Filings website||# on 1/1/2013||# on 2/1/2013||# on 3/1/2013||# on 4/1/2013||# on 5/1/2013||# on 6/1/2013||# on 7/1/2013||# on 8/1/2013|
- Ballot initiatives filed for the 2012 ballot
- Ballot initiatives filed for the 2011 ballot
- Ballot initiatives filed for the 2010 ballot
- Not all states set a deadline by which sponsors must file a copy of a proposed initiative. In states that do not have a deadline by which a sponsor must file a copy of the proposed initiative with elections officials, the only relevant deadline is the signature deadline.
- Sponsors of many, and perhaps even most, of the initiatives filed for the 2013 ballot will withdraw or abandon them, in many cases without mounting a serious petition drive.
- A separate list of initiatives whose sponsors officially withdrew them is forthcoming. Most initiatives that are destined to fail are not officially withdrawn.
- Even if they missed their 2013 deadline, as long as they did have a chance of qualifying for the 2013 ballot.
- As evidenced by the fact that the multiple versions were filed by the same sponsor or group of sponsors, and include very similar but not entirely identical language.
- See 2013 ballot measures and Potential 2013 ballot measures for information about legislative referrals that have or might qualify for the 2013 ballot.
- Only for initiatives to the legislature