Ballotpedia's 2012 General Election Preview Articles: Iowa Congressional Seats
By Ballotpedia's Congressional team
|Iowa's Congressional Elections in 2012|
|U.S. Senate Election?||U.S. House seats||Possible competitive races?|
|No||4||2 (3rd & 4th)|
Iowa's 3rd Congressional District is considered to be a toss-up according to the New York Times race ratings. Due to redistricting, incumbent Leonard Boswell (D) will face off against fellow incumbent Tom Latham (R) in the general election. They are vying for election in a district that is made up of nearly the same number of Republican, Democratic, and Independent voters.
Cook Political Report released its updated figures on the Partisan Voter Index, which measures each congressional district's partisanship relative to the rest of the country. Iowa's 3rd Congressional District has a PVI of R+1. In 2008, this district was won by Barack Obama (D), 53-47 percent over John McCain (R). In 2004, George W. Bush (R) won the district 53-47 percent over John Kerry (D).
Some of the organizations that have filed reports for campaign spending directed against incumbent Steve King include the SEIU and American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) and AFL-CIO. SEIU reportedly spent more than $30,000 on advertisements against King, while AFSCME reportedly spent $26,000.
Iowa's 4th District has been included in the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee's "Red to Blue List," which identifies districts that the organization has specifically targeted to flip from Republican to Democratic control.
See also: State Poll Opening and Closing Times (2012) Here is a complete list of U.S. House candidates appearing on the general election ballot in Iowa:
- Candidates running by District
- Partisan breakdown by district
- Comparison of new and old redistricting maps
|District||General Election Candidates||Incumbent||2012 Winner||Partisan Switch?|
|1st|| Bruce Braley
George Todd Krail II
|2nd|| Dave Loebsack
|3rd|| Leonard Boswell
Scott G. Batcher
|4th|| Christie Vilsack
Martin James Monroe
|5th||District Removed in Redistricting||Steve King||N/A||N/A|
|Members of the U.S. House from Iowa -- Partisan Breakdown|
|Party||As of November 2012||After the 2012 Election|
| Congressional Redistricting Map, approved April 2011
For more information, view Redistricting in Iowa.
- Early voting gets underway in Iowa September 27
- Nine percent of registered voters turned out for Iowa primary June 28
- 2012 elections review: Republican convention required to select candidate for Iowa House June 6
- 2012 elections preview: Iowa voters to select winners in congressional, state legislative primaries June 4
- Ballotpedia's 2012 General Election Preview Articles: Iowa State Legislature
- United States Congressional election results, 2012
- Ballotpedia:2012 general election preview articles
- United States House of Representatives elections in Iowa, 2012
- Iowa elections, 2012
- National contested primary average during the 2012 U.S. congressional elections
- New York Times "House Race Ratings," Accessed October 29, 2012
- Cook Political Report "Partisan Voting Index Districts of the 113th Congress: 2004 & 2008" Accessed October 2012
- FEC Reports "AMERICAN FEDERATION OF STATE COUNTY AND MUNICIPAL EMPLOYEES AFL-CIO Finance Report" Accessed August 16, 2012
- FEC Reports " SEIU COPE (SERVICE EMPLOYEES INTERNATIONAL UNION COMMITTEE ON POLITICAL EDUCATION) Finance Report" Accessed August 16, 2012
- DCCC, "Red to Blue 2012"
- 2012 House and Senate Campaign Finance for Iowa "House Candidates -- IA District : 04," Accessed October 30, 2012
- Iowa Secretary of State "Polling Place"