Ballotpedia's 2012 General Election Preview Articles: Kansas State Legislature
By Ballotpedia's State legislative team
|Kansas's State Legislative Elections in 2012|
|Senate seats||Contested senate seats||House seats||Contested house seats|
|40||31 (77.5%)||125||83 (66.4%)|
TOPEKA: Kansas: There are 126 total legislative seats with 2012 elections in Kansas, where polling places are open from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM Central Time. Kansas is divided between the Central and Mountain Time Zones.
The State Senate is currently under Republican control, 32 to 8. 4 incumbents, all Republican, are retiring from the Senate this year. The 125-seat house is 92-33 in favor of the Republicans. Of the 33 retiring incumbents, 30 are Republican. While neither house is in dnger of changing hands, several moderate Republican incumbents have lost primaries to more conservative challengers in both chambers.
Of the 165 incumbents up for election in 2012, 128 (77.5%) of them are running for re-election. A total of 86 of 126 (68.2%) districts will see more than one major party candidate in the general election.
Here are a few races to watch:
- Republican Anthony Brown survived his primary challenge from James C. "J.C." Tellefson, and he will face Democrat Tom Holland in the general election.
- Veteran incumbent Ralph Ostmeyer (R) survived s a primary challenge from John E. Miller. He will face incumbent Allen Clark Schmidt (D), who was appointed to the seat in February 2011.
- Democrat Nile Dillmore and Republican Brenda Landwehr face no opposition in their respective primaries, and will face each other in the general election on November 6.
- Geraldine Flaharty (D) and Phil Hermanson (R) will fight to keep a seat in District 98.
- Incumbent Kyle D. Hoffman (R) survived a primary battle from Terry Nunemaker. Hoffman won the Republican nomination, he will face incumbent Democrat Vincent Wetta in the general election.
|Iowa State Senate|
|Party||As of November 5, 2012||After the 2012 Election'|
|Iowa House of Representatives|
|Party||As of November 5, 2012||After the 2012 Election|
- 2012 elections review: Kansas voters oust incumbents August 8
- 2012 elections preview: Kansas voters to select winners in congressional, legislative primaries August 6
- Ballotpedia's 2012 General Election Preview Articles: Kansas Congressional Seats
- Ballotpedia:2012 general election preview articles
- State legislative elections, 2012
- November 6, 2012 election results
- Kansas elections, 2012