Ballotpedia's 2012 General Election Preview Articles: Rhode Island Congressional Seats
By Ballotpedia's Congressional team
|Rhode Island's Congressional Elections in 2012|
|U.S. Senate Election?||U.S. House seats||Possible competitive races?|
PROVIDENCE: Rhode Island: Rhode Island has two U.S. House seats and one U.S. Senate seat on the ballot in 2012. Both U.S. House incumbents are running for re-election and face at least one challenger in the general election. The incumbent for the U.S. Senate seat is running for re-election and will face six challengers.
Incumbent Sheldon Whitehouse (D) is running for re-election and was first elected to the office in 2006. Both Whitehouse and Republican nominee Barry Hinckley ran unopposed in their primaries on September 11. In addition to Hinckley, five Independent candidates are also seeking the open Senate seat. According to race ratings, Rhode Island's U.S. Senate race is considered a solid Democratic seat, as Whitehouse is expected to coast to re-election.
|State||General Election Candidates||Incumbent||2012 Winner||Partisan Switch?|
|Rhode Island Class 1 Senate seat|| Sheldon Whitehouse
Christopher D. Reynolds
David J. Slavin
While the 1st Congressional District is 65 percent Democratic, incumbent David Cicilline is still considered vulnerable in his race against Brendan Doherty. Cicilline, who was first elected in 2010, has outraised Doherty. Cicilline won his 2010 election by less than 10,000 votes.
Here is a complete list of U.S. House candidates appearing on the general election ballot in Rhode Island:
- Candidates running by District
- Partisan breakdown by district
- Comparison of new and old redistricting maps
| Congressional Redistricting Map, approved February 2012
For more information, view Redistricting in Rhode Island.
- Doherty and Cicilline trade jabs in Rhode Island's 1st District October 15
- 2012 elections review: Seven incumbents fall in Rhode Island legislative primaries September 12
- 2012 elections preview: Rhode Island voters to select winners in congressional, legislative primaries September 10
- Ballotpedia's 2012 General Election Preview Articles: Rhode Island State Legislature
- Ballotpedia:2012 general election preview articles
- November 6, 2012 election results
- United States Congressional election results, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections in Rhode Island, 2012
- Rhode Island elections, 2012
- National contested primary average during the 2012 U.S. congressional elections