For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Ballotpedia's 2012 General Election Preview Articles: Washington Congressional Seats
By Ballotpedia's Congressional team
|Washington’s Congressional Elections in 2012|
|U.S. Senate Election?||U.S. House seats||Possible competitive races?|
OLYMPIA: Washington: There are 10 U.S. House seats and 1 U.S. Senate seat on the ballot in Washington this year. Heading into general election on November 6, 2012, 100% of the congressional races are contested, meaning there are at least two candidates running in each of the 10 races. 7 incumbents are running for re-election to the House.
Incumbent U.S. Senator Maria Cantwell (D) is running for re-election in 2012. She faces Republican Michael Baumgartner on November 6, 2012. The race is considered competitive and is listed as Solid Democrat according to a Cook Political Report Race Rating from October 4, 2012.
Heading into the November 6 election, the Democratic Party holds 5 seats, while the Republican Party holds 4 in Washington. One district is currently vacant as it was created by redistricting. Of the 20 possible major party primaries (2 parties, 10 seats), 14 (70%) were contested, well above the national average. Washington uses the top-2 primary system, which means there can only be a maximum of two candidates on the general election ballot for each race.
Here are some highlights for the races on November 6:
- In the open 6th district seat, State Senator Derek Kilmer (D) faces Republican Bill Driscoll.
- In the newly formed 10th district, former state House Majority Leader Denny Heck (D) faces Republican Richard Muri in the general election.
Washington is a mail in ballot state and does not have polling places. County election officials provide information about voting centers/election offices. See also: State Poll Opening and Closing Times (2012)
Here is a complete list of U.S. Senate and House candidates appearing on the general election ballot in Washington:
|State||General Election Candidates||Incumbent||2012 Winner||Partisan Switch?|
|Washington Class 1 Senate seat|| Maria Cantwell
|District||General Election Candidates||Incumbent||2012 Winner||Partisan Switch?|
|1st|| Suzan DelBene
|2nd|| Rick Larsen
|3rd|| Jon T. Haugen
Jaime Herrera Beutler
|Jaime Herrera Beutler||Pending||Pending|
|4th|| Mary Baechler
|5th|| Rich Cowan
Cathy McMorris Rodgers
|Cathy McMorris Rodgers||Pending||Pending|
|6th|| Derek Kilmer
|7th|| Jim McDermott
|8th|| Karen Porterfield
|9th|| Adam Smith
|10th|| Denny Heck
- 2012 elections preview: Washington voters to select winners in congressional, legislative primaries August 6
- 2012 elections review: Washington primary results still trickling in August 8
- Ballotpedia's 2012 General Election Preview Articles: Washington State Legislature
- Ballotpedia:2012 general election preview articles
- November 6, 2012 election results
- United States Congressional election results, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections in Washington, 2012
- Washington's 1st Congressional District elections, 2012
- Washington's 2nd Congressional District elections, 2012
- Washington's 3rd Congressional District elections, 2012
- Washington's 4th Congressional District elections, 2012
- Washington's 5th Congressional District elections, 2012
- Washington's 6th Congressional District elections, 2012
- Washington's 7th Congressional District elections, 2012
- Washington's 8th Congressional District elections, 2012
- Washington's 9th Congressional District elections, 2012
- Washington's 10th Congressional District elections, 2012
- Washington elections, 2012
- National contested primary average during the 2012 U.S. congressional elections