Ballotpedia:Historical Ballot Measures Assistant Writers
The Lucy Burns Institute (LBI) is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin. LBI is an entrepreneurial, mission-driven organization that encourages innovation and provides opportunity for professional and personal growth.
Ballotpedia is a nonprofit and nonpartisan collaborative encyclopedia designed to connect people to politics utilizing a neutral point-of-view philosophy. We believe in the power of information to transform lives and politics, and we're committed to making the most knowledge available to the greatest number of people.
To uniformly add and improve wiki content, as well as organize the addition of content in the Historical Ballot Measures project, a subproject of the Ballots Project, within time estimates given. This project has an expected end date of December 2014. Although this position will end with the completion of the project, reassignment to another position may be a possibility (subject to work evaluation and availability of an open position).
Three part-time Historical Ballots Assistant Writer positions are available on the Ballots Project on Ballotpedia: one position for 20 hours per week and two positions for 25 hours per week. Part-time employees are paid hourly based on the hours they log. Employees are expected to work the full number of hours each week. Though the hours during which work is done on the project are somewhat flexible, staff will be required to attend certain team meetings and trainings at pre-determined times. This is a remote position.
The ideal candidate is a self-motivated, computer-savvy individual with a fact-based, yet engaging writing style and impeccable attention to detail. The candidate must be able to communicate clearly, be open to critique and collaboration, and be able to complete both repetitive tasks and more complex research assignments in a timely manner.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Using the “historical state ballot measure” writing guidelines, add profiles about historical ballot measures for all 50 states.
- Metrics: tracking of historical ballot measure progress on a monthly basis.
- Creation, maintenance and improvement of Ballotpedia pages, categories, templates, project pages, etc. within the the historical ballot measures project.
- Meet monthly and annual goals for writers participating in this project.
- Assist the Ballots team with election coverage for the November 4, 2014 elections.
- Assist with other areas of the Ballots project when necessary.
- Exceptional organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to accurately add information to Ballotpedia in a neutral, clear and concise manner
- Excitement about and commitment to LBI’s mission of connecting people to politics
- Excellent time management skills, including the ability to effectively prioritize competing demands
- Ability to adhere to deadlines
- Ability to complete work correctly and quickly
- Ability to find and research archived election data
- Strong self-motivation, as well as the ability to collaborate with others via a remote setting
- Excellent communication skills across a variety of platforms
- Ability to execute repetitive tasks while adhering to LBI’s efficiency and error reduction standards
- Understanding and appreciation of the Wiki-ethos of collaboration and non-ownership of articles
- Ability to multi-task, organize numerous moving parts of a project, and meet deadlines
This is a remote position. In order to join our staff, you must have access to a computer with regular, unwavering Internet access. Successful remote employees excel at certain skills. If you've never worked in a remote position, please consider this self-assessment before applying.
Pay starts at $9.00 per hour, with opportunities for bonuses based on performance after an initial review period.
You may apply for this position by following this link. The application deadline was February 2, 2014. Please specify which position you are applying for: the 20 hours per week position or the 25 hours per week positions. Please attach your resume to that application, including:
- two professional references
- cover letter detailing your sincere interest in this position and the mission of the organization
LBI is only able to respond to candidates to whom we are able to offer an interview. No phone calls, please. We appreciate your understanding and thank you for your interest in our organization.