Ballotpedia:Image use policy
| How to help|
Users • Editors
| Quick guide|
Library of Tutorials
Image use policies
User name policies
Criminal behavior & scandal
Using images on Ballotpedia
Images must meet these requirements:
- Copyrighted images are prohibited. When in doubt, or if an image doesn't include copyright info, assume it is copyrighted.
- Uploaded images must cite their source along with a direct link so users can verify their copyright-free status. For a simple way to attribute images, see our image copyright tags.
- Use an image copyright tag to describe an image and its copyright status.
- Use a clear, detailed title. Note that if any image with the same title has already been uploaded, it will be replaced with your new one.
- Upload a high-resolution version of your image whenever possible. MediaWiki accepts images up to 20 MB in size. Do not scale down the image yourself, as scaled-down images may be of limited use in the future.
- Crop the image to highlight the relevant subject.
- If you create an image that contains text, please upload also a version without any text. It will help Ballotpedians translate your image into other languages.
- Use JPEG format for photographic images; SVG format for icons, logos, drawings, maps, flags, and such; PNG format for software screenshots and when only a raster image is available; GIF format for inline animations; and Ogg/Theora for video.
- In general, there is no need to specify thumbnail size.
- Do not place shocking or explicit pictures into an article unless they have been approved by a consensus of editors for that article.
Images which are listed as for non-commercial use only, by permission, or which restrict derivatives are unsuitable for Ballotpedia.
Using Ballotpedia images
In addition to outside images uploaded to the wiki, Ballotpedia's staff creates images as well. All of those images are collected in the category Ballotpedia images.
These images are available for reuse in non-commercial settings with attribution. Please use the following language when using any images that belong to Ballotpedia:
For any questions about using Ballotpedia's images, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Help:Uploading images
- Help:Image description page
- Ballotpedia:Image copyright
- Ballotpedia:Image copyright tags
- Ballotpedia:Non-free content
- Ballotpedia:WikiProject Images
you can send your inquiry to email@example.com