Like all laws governing ballot measures, recall laws are complex. At Ballotpedia we have articles on the 38 states that have provisions for recall of elected officials. However, like all of the articles on Ballotpedia, we are always looking for ways to improve and expand them.
If you are interested in volunteering, you can either:
- Just get started on your own and see what develops.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to let her know of your interest and asking whatever questions you may have.
Either way, reading through the FAQ below will give you an overview of what to expect if you are interested in volunteering in this area.
- See also: Other volunteer opportunities
Why is this important?
- Laws about the intricacies of the recall process are not always very clear or readily available. You would help locate and research these laws, as well as create a publicly accessible database.
- You'd play a key role in creating an encyclopedic overview with archival value for historians, scholars and journalists of how voters engage with federal, state and local recall questions throughout the country.
- You'll be researching federal, state and local laws about recall provisions. The first step is locate the data. Identify anomalies specific to that state. Summarize the data. And finally, add to the appropriate "Laws governing recall in STATE." (links below)
- Before you begin...
- Just get started on your own and see what develops OR Send an email to email@example.com to let her know of your interest and asking whatever questions you may have.
- Open this spreadsheet. Click on the tab called "state assignments." Select the state you'd like to research. Add your name or wiki username.
- You're ready to get started. Fill out the spreadsheet with direct links to the related laws and provide a brief summary.
How much time would I invest?
That depends on:
- How many states you commit to cover.
- The complexity of the recall law in each state.
- The availability of information.
- How in-depth you go in your research and writing.
What kind of recall law research is already on the wiki?
Alabama • Alaska • Arizona • Arkansas • California • Colorado • Connecticut • District of Columbia • Florida • Georgia • Idaho • Illinois • Kansas • Louisiana • Maine • Massachusetts • Michigan • Minnesota • Missouri • Montana • Nebraska • Nevada • New Hampshire • New Jersey • New Mexico • New York • North Dakota • Ohio • Oklahoma • Oregon • Rhode Island • South Dakota • Tennessee • Texas • Virginia • Washington • West Virginia • Wisconsin • Wyoming