|Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court|
|Appointed by:||Gov. Deval Patrick|
|Preceded by:||Judith Cowin|
|Past post:||Judge, Massachusetts Appeals Court|
|Past post 2:||Judge, Massachusetts Superior Courts|
|Past term 2:||1993-1995|
|Undergraduate:||Fordham University, 1972|
|Law School:||Harvard Law School, 1979|
|Grad. School:||Yale University, 1978|
Barbara A. Lenk is a justice on the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court. She was appointed to this position by Governor Deval Patrick in April 2011. Her term will expire when she hits the mandatory retirement age in 2020.
Supreme Court nomination
Lenk is the first openly gay justice on the court. Lenk says that her nomination "shows that my story is the American story, where anything is possible."
- 2011-2020: Justice, Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court
- 1995-2011: Judge, Massachusetts Appeals Court
- 1993-1995: Judge, Massachusetts Superior Courts
- 1979-1993: Partner, Brown, Rudnick, Freed & Gesmer
In October 2012, political science professors Adam Bonica and Michael Woodruff of Stanford University attempted to determine the partisan ideology of state supreme court justices in their paper, State Supreme Court Ideology and 'New Style' Judicial Campaigns. A score above 0 indicated a more conservative leaning ideology while scores below 0 are more liberal. Lenk received a Campaign finance score (CFscore) of -0.85, indicating a liberal ideological leaning. This is more liberal than the average CF score of -0.44 that justices received in Massachusetts. The study is based on data from campaign contributions by judges themselves, the partisan leaning of contributors to the judges or, in the absence of elections, the ideology of the appointing body (governor or legislature). This study is not a definitive label of a justice, but an academic gauge of various factors.
- Massachusetts Supreme Court
- Courts in Massachusetts
- News: Barbara Lenk nominated to Massachusetts Supreme Court, April 14, 2011
- Massachusetts Court System, "Supreme Judicial Court"
- Massachusetts Court System, "Justice Barbara A. Lenk"
- The Boston Globe, "SJC nominee's record is hotly disputed," April 28, 2011
- Massachusetts Judicial Branch, "Associate Justice Barbara A. Lenk biography"
- The Daily Free Press, "Gov. Patrick's fourth appointment to SJC confirmed," May 5, 2011
- Boston.com, "Council approves Lenk for seat on state’s top court," May 5, 2011
- Associated Press, "Mass. high court may be getting first gay justice," April 4, 2011 (dead link)
- Stanford University, "State Supreme Court Ideology and 'New Style' Judicial Campaigns," October 31, 2012
|Former||Margaret Marshall • John Greaney • Roderick Ireland • Judith Cowin • William Cushing • Martha Sosman • Horace Gray • Oliver Wendell Holmes • Nathaniel Peaslee Sargeant •|