Barbara McIlvaine Smith
|Barbara McIlvaine Smith|
|Pennsylvania State House District 156|
| Term in office began|
| Term in office ended|
Smith earned her B.S. in Elementary Education from West Chester University in 1995.
In 1996, Smith worked for West Chester Area School District as an Educator. She then worked as an Educator for Brandywine Valley Association from 1996 to 1997. From 1997 to 1998, she was Administrative Assistant for the Art Institute of Philadelphia. She then worked as Baseline Administrator for North American Land Trust from 2002 to 2005. Smith has been owner/operator of Brandywine Water Systems Incorporated since 1980. She has also worked as owner of Group Facilitation Services.
Smith was a candidate for the Pennsylvania House of Representatives in 2004 but was not elected. She then served as Committeewoman for the Chester County Democratic Party from 2004 to 2006. She also was Councilwoman/Vice President of the Borough Council of West Chester from 2001 to 2006. In 2007, Smith joined the Pennsylvania State House. She served in that position until 2010, representing the 156th District.
While a member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, Smith served on the following committees:
- Aging & Older Adult Services Committee, Pennsylvania House of Representatives
- Education Committee, Pennsylvania House of Representatives
- Health & Human Services Committee, Pennsylvania House of Representatives
- Local Government Committee, Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Smith lost her bid for re-election in 2010, losing to Republican Dan Truitt in the November 2 general election. Smith initially announced she would not seek re-election in 2010, and Mark Stevens won the May 18 Democratic primary in the race to replace her as the state representative for the 156th District. When a severe back injury forced Stevens to withdraw on July 30, McIlvaine Smith declared her candidacy and became the Democratic nominee.
|Pennsylvania House of Representatives, District 156|
|Barbara McIlvaine (D)||18,259||53.3%|
|Shannon Royer (R)||15,981||46.7%|
Smith is widowed and has three children.
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives - Rep. Barbara McIlvaine Smith
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004
- Pennsylvania Department of State, "2010 General Election Results," accessed May 2, 2014
- Stevens campaign press release, July 30, 2010
- "McIlvaine Smith decides to seek re-election to Pa. House" by Kathleen Brady Shea in the Philadelphia Inquirer, July 31, 2010
- Pennsylvania Department of State, "Official 2008 General Election Results," accessed April 15, 2014
|Pennsylvania House Of Representatives District 156
| Succeeded by|
Dan Truitt (R)
State of Pennsylvania
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Secretary of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Conservation and Natural Resources | Secretary of Labor & Industry | Chairman of Public Utilities |