Barbara Smith Warner
|Barbara Smith Warner|
|Oregon House of Representatives District 45|
|January 15, 2014-present|
|January 12, 2015|
|Years in position||0|
|Assistant Majority Leader-Politics, Oregon House of Representatives|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed||December 19, 2013|
|Appointed by||Multnomah County Commission|
Warner earned her B.A. in Foreign Language & International Studies from Gannon University. Her professional experience includes working as a grassroots organizer and trainer, as a field representative for U.S. Senator Ron Wyden and as a precinct committee person.
At the beginning of the 2014 legislative session, Smith Warner served on the following committees:
|Oregon Committee Assignments, 2014|
|• Energy and Environment|
|• Higher Education and Workforce Development|
Smith Warner's campaign website highlights the following priorities:
- Excerpt: "I’ve seen firsthand that today’s decisions in Salem directly impact our children’s future. That’s why I’m fighting for the additional funding and smaller class size that teachers, parents and students need to succeed."
- Excerpt: "A strong economy in Oregon starts with strong schools—from pre-K all the way through affordable higher education. That’s why in my first session I helped pass new laws making community college more affordable and increasing access to apprenticeship programs which provide excellent job and skills training."
- Excerpt: "I believe that every Oregonian deserves access to quality, affordable healthcare. That’s why I sponsored a law to increase accountability at CoverOregon, am working to get the program back on track and succeed, and believe in long-term solutions like single-payer healthcare."
- Excerpt: "For me, fairness encompasses a lot of things—it means tax fairness where everyone pays their fair share; it means economic justice where hard work earns a living wage with benefits and local businesses are rewarded for doing so; and it means that every Oregonian is entitled to marry the person they love, free from discrimination."
Elections for the office of Oregon House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place May 20, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 11, 2014. Incumbent Barbara Smith Warner defeated Tom Sincic in the Democratic primary. She is also running as a write-in candidate on the Republican party and Working Families Party tickets. Smith Warner is unchallenged in the general election.
|Oregon House of Representatives, District 45 Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Barbara Smith Warner Incumbent||67.9%||5,548|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2013, the 77th Oregon State Legislature, first session, was in session from February 4 to July 9. In 2014, the 77th Oregon State Legislature, second session, was in session from February 3 to March 10.
- Oregon Farm Bureau: 2013 Senate Votes
- Oregon Farm Bureau: 2013 House Votes
- Oregon Farm Bureau: 2014 State Legislative Summary
- Legislators are scored based on their voting record for bills that impacted the businesses of family farmers and ranchers.
- American Federation of Teachers-Oregon: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on their voting record for issues that are important to AFT-Oregon. Priorities of the organization are based on the issues most important to its members working lives.
- Associated Oregon Industries: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on their voting record for bills relating to the business community.
- American Civil Liberties Union of Oregon: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on their voting record for bills relating to civil liberties.
- Oregon Education Association: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on their record in advocating for and advancing Oregon's public schools.
- Stand for Children-Oregon: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on their voting record for bills relating to Oregon's public schools.
- Oregon League of Conservation Voters: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on their voting record for bills relating to conservation.
In 2014, Smith Warner's endorsements include the following:
- Portland Association of Teachers
- NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon PAC
- Oregon AFL-CIO
- Oregon AFSCME
- Oregon Education Association
- U.S. Senator Ron Wyden
- Congressman Earl Blumenauer
- Congressman Kurt Schrader
- Multnomah County Commissioner Loretta Smith
- Portland Commissioner Steve Novick
Smith Warner and her husband, Chris, have two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Barbara + Smith + Warner + Oregon + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Oregon House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Oregon State Legislature
- Joint Committees
- Oregon state legislative districts
- Official campaign website
- Profile from the Oregon House of Representatives
- Profile from Open States
- Barbara Smith Warner on Facebook
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- The Washington Times, "Barbara Smith Warner sworn into Oregon House," accessed January 15, 2014
- Democratic Party of Oregon, "Barbara Smith Warner," accessed April 28, 2014
- Barbara Smith Warner for State Representative, "Home page," accessed April 28, 2014
- Oregon Secretary of State, "Official Results - May 20, 2014 Primary Election," accessed July 8, 2014
- Oregon Secretary of State, "Candidate Filing," accessed March 17, 2014
- Barbara Smith Warner for State Representative, "Endorsements," accessed April 28, 2014
- Barbara Smith Warner for State Representative, "Meet Barbara," accessed April 28, 2014
Michael Dembrow (D)
|Oregon House of Representatives - District 45
January 15, 2014–present
| Succeeded by|